I found several links with instructions for fixing the ERROR 80072EE2
1 that works very well on Windows 7, Vista, & Server 2008 is to uninstall/reinstall the NIC drivers.
But if you have a production server with a lot of configs and bindings uninstalling the primary NIC may create more problems than just the inability to check for automatic updates.
I tried several fixes but really didn't want to dump the NIC drivers just in case something gets corrupt and so I started playing around in NETSH from cmd.exe CLI.
Well so far the 20+ Windows 7 PRO/Vista Business workstations and 3 Server 2008 machines are functioning correctly again.
Pretty much you'll be disabling the NIC using NETSH as the plain old disable via right-click in NCPA.CPL <Network Connections> or the Device Manager did not work in my network.
What you'll need to do is rename your NIC to something simple. Just go, Start, Run: NCPA.CPL <hit enter>, Right-Click the NIC icon and select Rename. Example, my wired NIC was renamed to LAN on all machines affected by the Automatic Updates Error 80072EE2.
*To expedite the fix I added the following entries to a <repair.bat> script on a network drive/share & executed it from the workstations.
You will need to run the .bat file as Administrator or you will receive the following error: <An interface with this name is not registered with the router>
netsh interface set interface LAN disabled
netsh interface set interface LAN enabled
*Right-Click the .bat file and select "Run as administrator" select Continue to UAC if enabled.
Moments after the NIC is enabled you can try automatic updates hopefully with success.
All the above is performed without any system reboots.
Please reply if you have success with this method as it requires 0 changes to the system config and offers instant results.