Thought I would share this...
I can take any new PC coming into our business rebuild it from the ground up
with XP w/SP1 and the first time I go to WindowsUpdates I'll install the
updated software, and when I try to proceed, the Installation of BITS 2.0
will fail. So... I'll install it manually using KB842773.
Then, I'll reboot and go right back to WindowsUpdate and will get 0x80072F78.
What doesn't work:
1. Any of the suggestions in KB836985
3. If I try to run KB871260, I get an error that I must be on IE6 with SP1
(which I am)
I am running (and only running):
- Windows XP with Service Pack 1
- IE6 ver 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.040919-1003 with 128 bit cipher and SP1 and
What does work, but I have to do EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO TO WindowsUpdate.
- Stop the automatic updates service
- Delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
- Restart the Automatic Updates Service.
Let me reiterate... this works once... if I install something from WU, the
next time I visit, I'll get 0x80072F78 and have to repeat the above
process... so I wouldn't categorize this as a fix.
FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME:
After fooling around with this for too long, my ISA firewall admin and I
played around with the firewall settings. We found that if you set allow
anonymous access to v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com on the firewall, the
problems go away. I hope this helps someone.