Thread: Error number: 0x8002801D | Someone help!!!

lostSoul Guest

Error number: 0x8002801D | Someone help!!!

I get this error after I click "Express Install" or Custom Install" from the
    windows update site ver5. I have never had a problem with updating before
    until the new windows update site version 5 came out. Here is the error I get:

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
    page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:

[Error number: 0x8002801D] "

usthaiguy Guest

RE: Error number: 0x8002801D | Someone help!!!

Has anyone resolved this? I have the same proglem.

"lostSoul" wrote:

> I get this error after I click "Express Install" or Custom Install" from the
    > windows update site ver5. I have never had a problem with updating before
    > until the new windows update site version 5 came out. Here is the error I get:
    >
    > "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
    > page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
    >
    > [Error number: 0x8002801D] "

reboot-pc Guest

RE: Error number: 0x8002801D | Someone help!!!

Hi,

Try Register MSXML3.dll
    1. Click Start.
    2. Choose Run.
    3. In the Run box, type regsvr32 MSXML3.dll.
    4. Click OK.

"usthaiguy" wrote:

> Has anyone resolved this? I have the same proglem.
    >
    > "lostSoul" wrote:
    >
    > > I get this error after I click "Express Install" or Custom Install" from the
    > > windows update site ver5. I have never had a problem with updating before
    > > until the new windows update site version 5 came out. Here is the error I get:
    > >
    > > "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
    > > page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
    > >
    > > [Error number: 0x8002801D] "

After struggling with this Error 0x8002801D error problem with Microsoft Update on a Windows Server 2003 system for over a month, with some well-intentioned but not very useful assistance from Microsoft (nothing they suggested doing to solve the problem worked), I finally found a way to fix it!

The Microsoft support person who was trying to help (after suggesting all sorts or proceedures that did absolutely nothing but take up a lot of my time over the past 4-5 weeks) happened to mention that the 0x8002801D error meant "Library not registered" and noted that "It can be caused if the dll files are corrupted or blocked by the third party products." She wanted me to uninstall the (Grisoft AVG) anti-virus software on the server as the next in a long series of attempts to resolve the problem.

I was quite sure that AVG had nothing to do with the problem but got to thinking about what library might not be registered properly or otherwise corrupted or blocked. On a hunch, I decided to download and (re-) install the latest version of Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server (IE7-WindowsServer2003-x86-enu.exe).

That worked! It solved the problem with Microsoft Update!

Since I had long been Googling this error code to try to find a resolution (other than the standard advice to re-register MSXML3.dll which did not help at all) for this problem and had found nothing useful I decided to take the time to post this message in case it might be helpful to someone else, since I nowhere found any advice to try re-installing IE7 in order to resolve this particular problem (and quite a few instances where folks had asked for help with it without getting a satisfactory resolution).

So my suggestion is to try re-installing IE7. It definitely worked for me. Maybe it will work for you, too.

All the best,

will

William F. Zachmann, President
    Canopus Research Inc.
    http://www.canopusresearch.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostSoul View Post
    I get this error after I click "Express Install" or Custom Install" from the
    windows update site ver5. I have never had a problem with updating before
    until the new windows update site version 5 came out. Here is the error I get:

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
    page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:

[Error number: 0x8002801D] "

Davina lives in Harrods Laundry Department
    Quote Originally Posted by canopusresearch View Post
    After struggling with this Error 0x8002801D error problem with Microsoft Update on a Windows Server 2003 system for over a month, with some well-intentioned but not very useful assistance from Microsoft (nothing they suggested doing to solve the problem worked), I finally found a way to fix it!

The Microsoft support person who was trying to help (after suggesting all sorts or proceedures that did absolutely nothing but take up a lot of my time over the past 4-5 weeks) happened to mention that the 0x8002801D error meant "Library not registered" and noted that "It can be caused if the dll files are corrupted or blocked by the third party products." She wanted me to uninstall the (Grisoft AVG) anti-virus software on the server as the next in a long series of attempts to resolve the problem.

I was quite sure that AVG had nothing to do with the problem but got to thinking about what library might not be registered properly or otherwise corrupted or blocked. On a hunch, I decided to download and (re-) install the latest version of Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server (IE7-WindowsServer2003-x86-enu.exe).

That worked! It solved the problem with Microsoft Update!

Since I had long been Googling this error code to try to find a resolution (other than the standard advice to re-register MSXML3.dll which did not help at all) for this problem and had found nothing useful I decided to take the time to post this message in case it might be helpful to someone else, since I nowhere found any advice to try re-installing IE7 in order to resolve this particular problem (and quite a few instances where folks had asked for help with it without getting a satisfactory resolution).

So my suggestion is to try re-installing IE7. It definitely worked for me. Maybe it will work for you, too.

All the best,

will

William F. Zachmann, President
    Canopus Research Inc.
    http://www.canopusresearch.com

Dear All,

William is not entirely correct in his solution which, in any case only applies to specific programs. I dated a microsoft operative recently who supplied me with a more general fix for this irritating message.

He was rather sweet and cuddly but when we were not otherwise engaged he said
    right click the installation file and click properties then click the compatibillity tab and choose BOTH run as windows XP AND as administrator.

I must say this worked a charm and several truth enhancement programs are now correctly installed on my computer.

Wishing you a pleasant day

Davina