Thread: How to delete $hf_mig$,$NtServicePackUninstall$,$NtUninstallKB8287 file from Windows XP

How to delete $hf_mig$,$NtServicePackUninstall$,$NtUninstallKB8287 file from Windows XP

I am XP Home SP2 edition. I found that there are many "$hf_mig$,$NtServicePackUninstall$,$NtUninstallKB828741$,....," files in windows folder, which seem to be traces of windows updates. Can I remove them to save HDD space without any problem.

Re: How to delete $hf_mig$,$NtServicePackUninstall$,$NtUninstallKB8287 file from Windows XP

Do *not* delete the $hf_mig$ folder, the rest you can delete as long as it is ok to lose the option to uninstall the updates later on (only interesting if you suspect that one of the updates have caused you problems).

Re: How to delete $hf_mig$,$NtServicePackUninstall$,$NtUninstallKB8287 file from Windows XP

You should not delete $hf_mig$, but the others are ok to delete if you don't ever want to uninstall those hot fixes. The $hf_mig$ folder is there for future upgrades to reference, so that they won't unwittingly undermine an already installed hotfix by mistakenly installing an older-or-incompatable version of a file.

I had also wondered about that folder and now I know. However, there is another folder that has shown up since the last few updates were made that I have no idea about. First let me tell you what I do. After updates, I wait a week or two to see if everything is fine and if so, I then use a utility called xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe to delete the hotfix backups or Qxxxx and/or KBxxxx directories. However, now I have a directory showing up called $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$ which does not seem to be named your normal hotfix name. Can you tell me what this is and if I need it and its contents. Everything is running fine since the last batch of MS.

The $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$ folder contains the uninstall files for the newly released Windows Installer 3.1 (this is not a security update). I have no idea why they have prefixed the folder name with MSI31. You will find this update in your Add/Remove Programs list, as "Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)". I would have waited a couple of months before deleting this folder, just in case some Windows Installer issues shows up during this period, to be able to uninstall it to see if it solves the problem.

Not listed under my Add/Remove Programs list even though I have not deleted it or tampered with it in any way (not knowing what it was). Wonder if it actually got installed. Going back to the MS update site, nothing lists as needing to be installed so undoubtedly, it is installed. Anyway to tell.

I have now tested it and xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe removes the uninstall entry in registry (but not the uninstall folder). That is why you cannot see it anymore. Anyway, if you need to, you can start the uninstall process by running C:\WINDOWS\$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. Start/Run > msiexec.exe. If it lists "Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823" at the top, Windows Installer 3.1 is installed.