Thread: Can't Uninstall Net Framework 2.0 SP1

Can't Uninstall Net Framework 2.0 SP1

I recently had to reformat and reinstall Win XP. I got all the updates and SP's thru auto update.

Today I tried to install Family Tree Maker 2009 and it keeps throwing an error that, when I went into admin and checked the event log, it was showing a Net 2.0 error. Upon a closer look using the add/remove programs, I noticed that I have Net 2.0 Service Pack 2, but I do NOT have Net 2.0 . I downloaded 2.0 and figured I would uninstall the service pack 2, install the 2.0 and then put the service pack back in. When I went to delete the service pack, it gave me an error message saying it cannot be uninstalled because it will effect other applications that are installed, and gave me a URL to go to for more information. The link had nothing to do with my problem, so I came here to get some CLEAR answers (as always :)!

According to the add/remove programs, I have the following Net things installed on my C drive:
    Net Framework 1.1,
    Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2,
    Net 3.0 Service Pack 2,
    Net Framework 3.5 SP 1,
    Net Framework 4 Client Profile,
    Net Framework 4 Extended.

I am NOT very good at reading Microsoft's bulletins because 9 out of 10 times, they are not about the problem I am having, so I have no idea what to do! That's why I rely on the wonderful people here to tell me how to fix my problems and explain them in "layman terms" so that I can understand them clearly. It seems I have a bunch of "Service Packs" but don't have the "Main" part it applies to?! I'm confused.

Could you please tell me what I need to do to get this program to work? It appears to be a Net 2.0 problem, but I don't know what to do to solve it.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. Just remember, I'm NOT a techie, so please explain it in simple terms. :)

Re: Can't Uninstall Net Framework 2.0 SP1

To resolve this issue you must delete the old or corrupt user configuration file. To do this please follow the instructions below:

1.Right-click the Start button and choose Explore

2.Navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings folder. Click it to open the folder.

3.0pen your profile folder. This generally will be your name or the name you sign on to Windows with. It is most likely NOT the Administrator or All Users folder.

4.Open the Local Settings folder.

Note: If you do not see this folder, click the Tools menu and choose Folder Options. When this window opens, click the View tab. On the View tab, select the bullet next to Show hidden files and folders and click OK. The Local Settings folder should now be displayed. If you still can’t find Local Settings, you selected the wrong profile folder. Go back to Documents and Settings (step 2) and pick another profile folder.

5.Open the Application Data folder.

6.Find a folder called The_Generations_Network. Right-click on it and choose Delete.

Note: If you do not see this folder, you selected the wrong profile folder. Go back to Documents and Settings (step 2) and pick another.

Re: Can't Uninstall Net Framework 2.0 SP1

Thanks for the reply, Einstein. I did as you said, and did not see a folder called The_Generations_Network ANYWHERE on "C Drive"!

I have 3 profiles, All Users, Default User, and one with my name. I looked in all 3 of them and could not find the folder you are referring to. It shows the hidden folders, but that's not one of them?!

I did a search of my computer to see if that folder showed up ANYWHERE...and it did, but... I located it in an OLD documents and settings folder on my D drive (apparently saved from an old install of windows that I had saved). That is the ONLY place that folder is located. Since I reformatted C and reinstalled XP on C drive...do I even need that ENTIRE documents and settings folder that's on D drive???? It would make sense that I do NOT need the one on D since the one on C is the one the computer uses...but I want to make sure I don't need anything in that D:\Documents and Settings folder before I totally delete it.

Also, once I do whatever I'm supposed to do, whether it's just the Generations folder or the entire D:\Documents and Settings folder....what do I have to do as far as getting Net Framework back on C Drive where it belongs? Do I have to install 1, then 2, then 3, etc.....or would the current version take the place of all the previous ones like 1, 2, 3? Do I have to manually install whatever I need, or will it do an auto-update through Windows? I'm asking because I have heard and read that it has to be done in very specific order or it will get all messed up...and I want to do it correctly the FIRST time.

Thanks for all your help, Einstein.....I told you I am not real swift on this stuff! I am not sure why I saved the old document and settings folder except that I thought I might need something that was in it....dunno!