Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

  1. #1
    KeithM Guest

    Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers from
    Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I remove
    them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather than
    having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    appreciated.

  2. #2
    JS Guest

    Re: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    Yes, you can delete them.
    Most of the time these odd folders, which are used
    for temporary file storage during the software install,
    are deleted automatically. But some applications leave
    one or more folders behind (sloppy) and that what you see
    on your hard drive.


    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com


    "KeithM" <KeithM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:4D4A80D2-524E-4F6C-B24F-4F136FA3A307@microsoft.com...
    > acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers
    > from
    > Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    > C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I remove
    > them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather
    > than
    > having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    > appreciated.




  3. #3
    KeithM Guest

    Re: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    Thanks. Is there any way to fix it so the folders do get removed
    automatically or is this something that I just have to go through
    periodically and clean up?

    "JS" wrote:

    > Yes, you can delete them.
    > Most of the time these odd folders, which are used
    > for temporary file storage during the software install,
    > are deleted automatically. But some applications leave
    > one or more folders behind (sloppy) and that what you see
    > on your hard drive.
    >
    >
    > --
    > JS
    > http://www.pagestart.com
    >
    >
    > "KeithM" <KeithM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:4D4A80D2-524E-4F6C-B24F-4F136FA3A307@microsoft.com...
    > > acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers
    > > from
    > > Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    > > C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I remove
    > > them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather
    > > than
    > > having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    >
    >
    >


  4. #4
    Leroy Guest

    Re: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    The Windows Update uninstall files are there for a very important
    reason. If your Windows XP installation should become corrupt and a
    repair install is necessary, those existing updates would have to be
    uninstalled during the initial repair process. If the uninstall files
    are missing, then the repair install process can not proceed and you'll
    be out of luck trying to boot into Windows.


    KeithM wrote:
    > acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers from
    > Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    > C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I remove
    > them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather than
    > having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    > appreciated.


  5. #5
    KeithM Guest

    Re: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    To be clear, these are not the update folders found in c:\windows directory.
    These are just random folders left behind from Microsoft updates. I would
    definitely not remove the uninstall folders from Windows Update.

    "Leroy" wrote:

    > The Windows Update uninstall files are there for a very important
    > reason. If your Windows XP installation should become corrupt and a
    > repair install is necessary, those existing updates would have to be
    > uninstalled during the initial repair process. If the uninstall files
    > are missing, then the repair install process can not proceed and you'll
    > be out of luck trying to boot into Windows.
    >
    >
    > KeithM wrote:
    > > acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers from
    > > Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    > > C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I remove
    > > them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather than
    > > having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    >


  6. #6
    Leroy Guest

    Re: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    Folders name with random characters appear after installing a Service
    Pack or hotfix?
    http://www.winxptutor.com/randomfolders.htm


    KeithM wrote:
    > To be clear, these are not the update folders found in c:\windows directory.
    > These are just random folders left behind from Microsoft updates. I would
    > definitely not remove the uninstall folders from Windows Update.
    >
    > "Leroy" wrote:
    >
    >> The Windows Update uninstall files are there for a very important
    >> reason. If your Windows XP installation should become corrupt and a
    >> repair install is necessary, those existing updates would have to be
    >> uninstalled during the initial repair process. If the uninstall files
    >> are missing, then the repair install process can not proceed and you'll
    >> be out of luck trying to boot into Windows.
    >>
    >>
    >> KeithM wrote:
    >>> acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers from
    >>> Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    >>> C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I remove
    >>> them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather than
    >>> having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    >>> appreciated.


  7. #7
    JS Guest

    Re: Microsoft Update folders - can I remove them?

    Unfortunately it's a software developer's problem.
    If MS or other vendor did not perform a complete
    cleanup during or when the install has completed,
    (sometimes you are prompted to reboot the PC
    to complete the install, then these folder or folders
    are deleted during the reboot, but not always as you
    discovered).

    These folder names are completely random and
    for example if you install the same update 6 times
    you will find 6 different random folders names.

    So you must delete them manually.

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com


    "KeithM" <KeithM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:1B5F8720-AC59-4A9D-AFF9-A8F0D0372587@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks. Is there any way to fix it so the folders do get removed
    > automatically or is this something that I just have to go through
    > periodically and clean up?
    >
    > "JS" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, you can delete them.
    >> Most of the time these odd folders, which are used
    >> for temporary file storage during the software install,
    >> are deleted automatically. But some applications leave
    >> one or more folders behind (sloppy) and that what you see
    >> on your hard drive.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> JS
    >> http://www.pagestart.com
    >>
    >>
    >> "KeithM" <KeithM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:4D4A80D2-524E-4F6C-B24F-4F136FA3A307@microsoft.com...
    >> > acve got several folders in my root directory (C:\) that are leftovers
    >> > from
    >> > Microsoft apdates that never got removed. They have names such as
    >> > C:\4633bc0687e6970b8e63a999ac1f7a. I have 2 questions - 1) can I
    >> > remove
    >> > them? and 2) what can I do so they will be removed automatically rather
    >> > than
    >> > having to go back and clean them up? Any help with this is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    >>
    >>
    >>




Similar Threads

  1. How to remove favorite folders from Outlook 2003
    By neonxgenesis in forum Windows Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
  2. How to Remove Web Folders Vista
    By Chaya in forum Operating Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
  3. Remove folders from Start Menu
    By Xan in forum Operating Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
  4. Remove folders in LightRoom
    By Actionguy in forum Customize Desktop
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
  5. cna I remove these folders?
    By Shahin in forum Windows Server Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •