Thread: A solution re Windows Update error message 0x800704DD

Bulky Guest

A solution re Windows Update error message 0x800704DD

This is actually a solution not a question. For those who have suffered the
    error message 0x800704DD when attempting to use Windows Update and, like me,
    have tried absolutely everything to resolve the problemt but with no success,
    here is the solution that worked for me. Firstly backup your registry. Go
    to run>regedit>OK. Navigate to the following key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    Version\Winlogon\Notify\Senslogn

If there are no values in the right hand pane then this explains why you
    can’t use Windows Update. If you have McAfee Security Center you will find
    that it will not update that program either and it will cause the M icon in
    the system tray to appear briefly and then disappear after startup. No
    matter how hard you try you will not be able to manually add the required
    values to the Senslogn key. You may find suggestions about using Notepad to
    manually add the values required. When you add the required entries to the
    registry you will receive a message stating that they were added successfully
    but alas when you check the registry there are no entries there. OK, here’s
    the solution that worked for me. Right click the Senslogn key and click
    Permissions. You will notice that the Full Control, Read and Special
    Permissions boxes are greyed out and you can’t tick them. In ‘Group or user
    names’ up the top the field will or should be blank. Click the Add button.
    A ‘Select Users or Groups Window’ will open. In the ‘Enter the object names
    to select’ field type Everyone and then click OK. Everyone will then appear
    in the ‘Group or user names field’. Tick the Full Control and Read boxes and
    then click Apply. Magically the required values will appear in the right
    hand pane of the Senslogn key and the problem should be fixed.

Let me say I am no computer genius but I am not a dunce. I searched high
    and low for the solution to this problem but had no luck. It happened
    suddenly and for no apparent reason. I eventually stumbled across an obscure
    article on a computer website where the writer had a similar problem to mine
    and using the solution offered there plus a combination of other suggestions
    managed to fix the problem. Windows Update and McAfee are working just fine.
    I don't care if it is the wrong thing to do. The important thing is it
    worked when nothing else worked. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Regards,

Bulky

Harry Johnston [MVP] Guest

Re: A solution re Windows Update error message 0x800704DD

If the permissions on the Senslogn key don't grant read access, that would
    certainly cause all kinds of Bad Things.

However, I would not recommend granting Full access to Everyone; instead, give
    Read access to Everyone and Full access to Administrators.

Harry.

Bulky wrote:

> This is actually a solution not a question. For those who have suffered the
    > error message 0x800704DD when attempting to use Windows Update and, like me,
    > have tried absolutely everything to resolve the problemt but with no success,
    > here is the solution that worked for me. Firstly backup your registry. Go
    > to run>regedit>OK. Navigate to the following key;
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    > Version\Winlogon\Notify\Senslogn
    >
    > If there are no values in the right hand pane then this explains why you
    > can’t use Windows Update. If you have McAfee Security Center you will find
    > that it will not update that program either and it will cause the M icon in
    > the system tray to appear briefly and then disappear after startup. No
    > matter how hard you try you will not be able to manually add the required
    > values to the Senslogn key. You may find suggestions about using Notepad to
    > manually add the values required. When you add the required entries to the
    > registry you will receive a message stating that they were added successfully
    > but alas when you check the registry there are no entries there. OK, here’s
    > the solution that worked for me. Right click the Senslogn key and click
    > Permissions. You will notice that the Full Control, Read and Special
    > Permissions boxes are greyed out and you can’t tick them. In ‘Group or user
    > names’ up the top the field will or should be blank. Click the Add button.
    > A ‘Select Users or Groups Window’ will open. In the ‘Enter the object names
    > to select’ field type Everyone and then click OK. Everyone will then appear
    > in the ‘Group or user names field’. Tick the Full Control and Read boxes and
    > then click Apply. Magically the required values will appear in the right
    > hand pane of the Senslogn key and the problem should be fixed.
    >
    > Let me say I am no computer genius but I am not a dunce. I searched high
    > and low for the solution to this problem but had no luck. It happened
    > suddenly and for no apparent reason. I eventually stumbled across an obscure
    > article on a computer website where the writer had a similar problem to mine
    > and using the solution offered there plus a combination of other suggestions
    > managed to fix the problem. Windows Update and McAfee are working just fine.
    > I don't care if it is the wrong thing to do. The important thing is it
    > worked when nothing else worked. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bulky
    >

Bulky Guest

Thanks Harry. I have done as you have suggested and changed access to read
    only. Appreciate the advice. As I said I'm no computer geek but I can
    usually fumble my way through most problems but this one was tricky. I don't
    know why or how it was caused and it took a long time to come up with the
    solution but I got there in the end and hope it can help someone else with he
    same problem. The Microsoft kb article that covers this particular error
    mesage did not help me but I guess every problem is unique. Thanks again.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> If the permissions on the Senslogn key don't grant read access, that would
    > certainly cause all kinds of Bad Things.
    >
    > However, I would not recommend granting Full access to Everyone; instead, give
    > Read access to Everyone and Full access to Administrators.
    >
    > Harry.
    >
    > Bulky wrote:
    >
    > > This is actually a solution not a question. For those who have suffered the
    > > error message 0x800704DD when attempting to use Windows Update and, like me,
    > > have tried absolutely everything to resolve the problemt but with no success,
    > > here is the solution that worked for me. Firstly backup your registry. Go
    > > to run>regedit>OK. Navigate to the following key;
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    > > Version\Winlogon\Notify\Senslogn
    > >
    > > If there are no values in the right hand pane then this explains why you
    > > can’t use Windows Update. If you have McAfee Security Center you will find
    > > that it will not update that program either and it will cause the M icon in
    > > the system tray to appear briefly and then disappear after startup. No
    > > matter how hard you try you will not be able to manually add the required
    > > values to the Senslogn key. You may find suggestions about using Notepad to
    > > manually add the values required. When you add the required entries to the
    > > registry you will receive a message stating that they were added successfully
    > > but alas when you check the registry there are no entries there. OK, here’s
    > > the solution that worked for me. Right click the Senslogn key and click
    > > Permissions. You will notice that the Full Control, Read and Special
    > > Permissions boxes are greyed out and you can’t tick them. In ‘Group or user
    > > names’ up the top the field will or should be blank. Click the Add button.
    > > A ‘Select Users or Groups Window’ will open. In the ‘Enter the object names
    > > to select’ field type Everyone and then click OK. Everyone will then appear
    > > in the ‘Group or user names field’. Tick the Full Control and Read boxes and
    > > then click Apply. Magically the required values will appear in the right
    > > hand pane of the Senslogn key and the problem should be fixed.
    > >
    > > Let me say I am no computer genius but I am not a dunce. I searched high
    > > and low for the solution to this problem but had no luck. It happened
    > > suddenly and for no apparent reason. I eventually stumbled across an obscure
    > > article on a computer website where the writer had a similar problem to mine
    > > and using the solution offered there plus a combination of other suggestions
    > > managed to fix the problem. Windows Update and McAfee are working just fine.
    > > I don't care if it is the wrong thing to do. The important thing is it
    > > worked when nothing else worked. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Bulky
    > >

>

Diskono Guest

Hi guys,

I have this problem and so I tried your solution Bulky....Unfortunately when
    I was navigating throught regedit, I had no 'seslogn' key to edit! :S

I have the following 'sub-folders' in 'Notify': 'AtiExtEvent' (think this is
    to do with my montior...) and 'WgaLogon' (which has another 'sub-folder'
    called 'Settings').

Any thoughts on why this is or what I can do to sort it out?

(Btw, I'm using Win XP SP2 and have had probs with Microsoft Update for
    several months now...)

Thanks,

Diskono.

"Bulky" wrote:

> Thanks Harry. I have done as you have suggested and changed access to read
    > only. Appreciate the advice. As I said I'm no computer geek but I can
    > usually fumble my way through most problems but this one was tricky. I don't
    > know why or how it was caused and it took a long time to come up with the
    > solution but I got there in the end and hope it can help someone else with he
    > same problem. The Microsoft kb article that covers this particular error
    > mesage did not help me but I guess every problem is unique. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > If the permissions on the Senslogn key don't grant read access, that would
    > > certainly cause all kinds of Bad Things.
    > >
    > > However, I would not recommend granting Full access to Everyone; instead, give
    > > Read access to Everyone and Full access to Administrators.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >
    > > Bulky wrote:
    > >
    > > > This is actually a solution not a question. For those who have suffered the
    > > > error message 0x800704DD when attempting to use Windows Update and, like me,
    > > > have tried absolutely everything to resolve the problemt but with no success,
    > > > here is the solution that worked for me. Firstly backup your registry. Go
    > > > to run>regedit>OK. Navigate to the following key;
    > > >
    > > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    > > > Version\Winlogon\Notify\Senslogn
    > > >
    > > > If there are no values in the right hand pane then this explains why you
    > > > can’t use Windows Update. If you have McAfee Security Center you will find
    > > > that it will not update that program either and it will cause the M icon in
    > > > the system tray to appear briefly and then disappear after startup. No
    > > > matter how hard you try you will not be able to manually add the required
    > > > values to the Senslogn key. You may find suggestions about using Notepad to
    > > > manually add the values required. When you add the required entries to the
    > > > registry you will receive a message stating that they were added successfully
    > > > but alas when you check the registry there are no entries there. OK, here’s
    > > > the solution that worked for me. Right click the Senslogn key and click
    > > > Permissions. You will notice that the Full Control, Read and Special
    > > > Permissions boxes are greyed out and you can’t tick them. In ‘Group or user
    > > > names’ up the top the field will or should be blank. Click the Add button.
    > > > A ‘Select Users or Groups Window’ will open. In the ‘Enter the object names
    > > > to select’ field type Everyone and then click OK. Everyone will then appear
    > > > in the ‘Group or user names field’. Tick the Full Control and Read boxes and
    > > > then click Apply. Magically the required values will appear in the right
    > > > hand pane of the Senslogn key and the problem should be fixed.
    > > >
    > > > Let me say I am no computer genius but I am not a dunce. I searched high
    > > > and low for the solution to this problem but had no luck. It happened
    > > > suddenly and for no apparent reason. I eventually stumbled across an obscure
    > > > article on a computer website where the writer had a similar problem to mine
    > > > and using the solution offered there plus a combination of other suggestions
    > > > managed to fix the problem. Windows Update and McAfee are working just fine.
    > > > I don't care if it is the wrong thing to do. The important thing is it
    > > > worked when nothing else worked. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Bulky
    > > >

> >

Harry Johnston [MVP] Guest

Diskono wrote:

> I have this problem and so I tried your solution Bulky....Unfortunately when
    > I was navigating throught regedit, I had no 'seslogn' key to edit! :S

Urk ... that's not good. Personally, I'd recommend storing your data to
    off-line media and reinstalling Windows from scratch.

However, if you just want to recreate the SensLogn key and see if it helps, this
    article lists the values it should contain:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341

Harry.

>
    > I have the following 'sub-folders' in 'Notify': 'AtiExtEvent' (think this is
    > to do with my montior...) and 'WgaLogon' (which has another 'sub-folder'
    > called 'Settings').
    >
    > Any thoughts on why this is or what I can do to sort it out?
    >
    > (Btw, I'm using Win XP SP2 and have had probs with Microsoft Update for
    > several months now...)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Diskono.
    >
    > "Bulky" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Harry. I have done as you have suggested and changed access to read
    >> only. Appreciate the advice. As I said I'm no computer geek but I can
    >> usually fumble my way through most problems but this one was tricky. I don't
    >> know why or how it was caused and it took a long time to come up with the
    >> solution but I got there in the end and hope it can help someone else with he
    >> same problem. The Microsoft kb article that covers this particular error
    >> mesage did not help me but I guess every problem is unique. Thanks again.
    >>
    >> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> If the permissions on the Senslogn key don't grant read access, that would
    >>> certainly cause all kinds of Bad Things.
    >>>
    >>> However, I would not recommend granting Full access to Everyone; instead, give
    >>> Read access to Everyone and Full access to Administrators.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>
    >>> Bulky wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> This is actually a solution not a question. For those who have suffered the
    >>>> error message 0x800704DD when attempting to use Windows Update and, like me,
    >>>> have tried absolutely everything to resolve the problemt but with no success,
    >>>> here is the solution that worked for me. Firstly backup your registry. Go
    >>>> to run>regedit>OK. Navigate to the following key;
    >>>>
    >>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    >>>> Version\Winlogon\Notify\Senslogn
    >>>>
    >>>> If there are no values in the right hand pane then this explains why you
    >>>> can’t use Windows Update. If you have McAfee Security Center you will find
    >>>> that it will not update that program either and it will cause the M icon in
    >>>> the system tray to appear briefly and then disappear after startup. No
    >>>> matter how hard you try you will not be able to manually add the required
    >>>> values to the Senslogn key. You may find suggestions about using Notepad to
    >>>> manually add the values required. When you add the required entries to the
    >>>> registry you will receive a message stating that they were added successfully
    >>>> but alas when you check the registry there are no entries there. OK, here’s
    >>>> the solution that worked for me. Right click the Senslogn key and click
    >>>> Permissions. You will notice that the Full Control, Read and Special
    >>>> Permissions boxes are greyed out and you can’t tick them. In ‘Group or user
    >>>> names’ up the top the field will or should be blank. Click the Add button.
    >>>> A ‘Select Users or Groups Window’ will open. In the ‘Enter the object names
    >>>> to select’ field type Everyone and then click OK. Everyone will then appear
    >>>> in the ‘Group or user names field’. Tick the Full Control and Read boxes and
    >>>> then click Apply. Magically the required values will appear in the right
    >>>> hand pane of the Senslogn key and the problem should be fixed.
    >>>>
    >>>> Let me say I am no computer genius but I am not a dunce. I searched high
    >>>> and low for the solution to this problem but had no luck. It happened
    >>>> suddenly and for no apparent reason. I eventually stumbled across an obscure
    >>>> article on a computer website where the writer had a similar problem to mine
    >>>> and using the solution offered there plus a combination of other suggestions
    >>>> managed to fix the problem. Windows Update and McAfee are working just fine.
    >>>> I don't care if it is the wrong thing to do. The important thing is it
    >>>> worked when nothing else worked. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!
    >>>>
    >>>> Regards,
    >>>>
    >>>> Bulky
    >>>>

words can't express the depth of gratitude I have for you for providing this post, the answer I've been seeking for over a month. That's how long it's been since the updates weren't installing. I don't know what I did, it must have been me, I'm not an expert, just user who likes to maintain my computer and keep it running. I finally decided to figure this out this weekend and it's been two days of trying things, restarting, etc., I was about to go nuclear, but I told myself "keep trying, it may not require that". With the help of google and you, I got it fixed. Updates are now installed, I'm back up to speed, and my thanks to you just can't be expressed in words. Thanks to you and everyone else who posts these solutions . . . they're appreciated more than you know by regular guys like me. Thank you thank you thank you.