Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



WSUS 3.0 - manually import update

Windows Update


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 24-01-2009
dereks
 
Posts: n/a
WSUS 3.0 - manually import update

Hi,

Is there a way to manually import an update that is not a part of the
Microsoft Update Catalog into wsus 3.0? The update kb950582 for xp is
downloadable but not available for xp in wsus. It is only available for
vista and server 2008.

Thanks for the assistance.

Derek

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-01-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WSUS 3.0 - manually import update

[[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...pdate_services

In your newsreader:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...pdate_services
]]

dereks wrote:
> Is there a way to manually import an update that is not a part of the
> Microsoft Update Catalog into wsus 3.0? The update kb950582 for xp is
> downloadable but not available for xp in wsus. It is only available for
> vista and server 2008.
>
> Thanks for the assistance.
>
> Derek


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-01-2009
Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WSUS 3.0 - manually import update

> dereks wrote:
>> Is there a way to manually import an update that is not a part of the
>> Microsoft Update Catalog into wsus 3.0?


No.

>> The update kb950582 for xp is
>> downloadable but not available for xp in wsus. It is only available for
>> vista and server 2008.


KB950582 is *not* applicable to Windows XP systems (according to the KB
article).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950582

It is only applicable to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, which is why
that's all you are seeing in WSUS.


--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-01-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WSUS 3.0 - manually import update


Lawrence Garvin (MVP) wrote:
>> dereks wrote:
>>> Is there a way to manually import an update that is not a part of the
>>> Microsoft Update Catalog into wsus 3.0?

>
> No.
>
>>> The update kb950582 for xp is
>>> downloadable but not available for xp in wsus. It is only available for
>>> vista and server 2008.

>
> KB950582 is *not* applicable to Windows XP systems (according to the KB
> article).
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950582
>
> It is only applicable to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, which is
> why
> that's all you are seeing in WSUS.


While MS08-038 (KB950582) does not apply to WinXP, Win2003 or Win2K, it is
available for those OSS to be installed manually (i.e., not via WSUS); cf.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...tCriteria=date

Pertinent and related references include:

Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker.B worm:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007

Alert - Increased Malware Activity: Win32/Conficker.B worm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37919


How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows
<QP>
Prerequisites to disable Autorun capabilities

To disable Autorun capabilities, you must install the following updates:

• Update for Windows XP (KB950582)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-1721D7B8DAA5

• Update for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems (KB950582)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1015E14B6D11

• Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB950582)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9734FE772C53

• Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950582)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-40CA63A967FB

• Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB950582)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E-E2B28068147A

• Update for Windows 2000 (KB950582)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-49C5F4DA5405
</QP>
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252/
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-01-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WSUS 3.0 - manually import update

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Lawrence Garvin (MVP) wrote:
>>> dereks wrote:
>>>> Is there a way to manually import an update that is not a part of the
>>>> Microsoft Update Catalog into wsus 3.0?

>>
>> No.
>>
>>>> The update kb950582 for xp is
>>>> downloadable but not available for xp in wsus. It is only available
>>>> for
>>>> vista and server 2008.

>>
>> KB950582 is *not* applicable to Windows XP systems (according to the KB
>> article).
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950582
>>
>> It is only applicable to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, which is
>> why
>> that's all you are seeing in WSUS.

>
> While MS08-038 (KB950582) does not apply to WinXP, Win2003 or Win2K, it is
> available for those OSS to be installed manually (i.e., not via WSUS); cf.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...tCriteria=date
>
> Pertinent and related references include:
>
> Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker.B worm:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007
>
> Alert - Increased Malware Activity: Win32/Conficker.B worm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37919
>
>
> How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows
> <QP>
> Prerequisites to disable Autorun capabilities
>
> To disable Autorun capabilities, you must install the following updates:
>
> • Update for Windows XP (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-1721D7B8DAA5
>
> • Update for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1015E14B6D11
>
> • Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9734FE772C53
>
> • Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-40CA63A967FB
>
> • Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E-E2B28068147A
>
> • Update for Windows 2000 (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-49C5F4DA5405
>
> </QP>
> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252/


[Formatting correct in above quote]

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-01-2009
dereks
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WSUS 3.0 - manually import update

Thank You.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Lawrence Garvin (MVP) wrote:
> >> dereks wrote:
> >>> Is there a way to manually import an update that is not a part of the
> >>> Microsoft Update Catalog into wsus 3.0?

> >
> > No.
> >
> >>> The update kb950582 for xp is
> >>> downloadable but not available for xp in wsus. It is only available for
> >>> vista and server 2008.

> >
> > KB950582 is *not* applicable to Windows XP systems (according to the KB
> > article).
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950582
> >
> > It is only applicable to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, which is
> > why
> > that's all you are seeing in WSUS.

>
> While MS08-038 (KB950582) does not apply to WinXP, Win2003 or Win2K, it is
> available for those OSS to be installed manually (i.e., not via WSUS); cf.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...tCriteria=date
>
> Pertinent and related references include:
>
> Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker.B worm:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007
>
> Alert - Increased Malware Activity: Win32/Conficker.B worm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37919
>
>
> How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows
> <QP>
> Prerequisites to disable Autorun capabilities
>
> To disable Autorun capabilities, you must install the following updates:
>
> • Update for Windows XP (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-1721D7B8DAA5
>
> • Update for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1015E14B6D11
>
> • Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9734FE772C53
>
> • Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-40CA63A967FB
>
> • Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E-E2B28068147A
>
> • Update for Windows 2000 (KB950582)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-49C5F4DA5405
> </QP>
> Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows Update
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "WSUS 3.0 - manually import update"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manually Add KB patch to WSUS for deployment Loeb Server Update Service 3 11-01-2014 08:57 AM
Can i manually insert update to WSUS ?? Walton00 Server Update Service 2 27-01-2012 11:04 PM
Manually remove WSUS 3.0 prafullanayana Server Update Service 1 12-08-2009 09:33 PM
Manually Remove WSUS 3 kyosang Server Update Service 4 02-07-2008 03:38 PM
Manually Add Hotfix to WSUS? S Kent Server Update Service 1 17-02-2008 04:14 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:52 AM.