KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
Has anyone else receive this error when trying to install this update?
Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 3054
Product Version (Final) :
Status : Failure
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Error Number : 1635
Error Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
See <http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx> for
I hope this post is helpful.
Let us know how it works šut.
RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP fi
Unfortunately I did not find anything about my SQL Server patch issue here.
This is a 2k3 sp2 server with SQL 2005 sp2 installed. Thanks anyway.
I am seeing the same error.
It shows up in the update GUI as:
Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Error Code: 0x663
This is the hex equivilent of Error Number 1635.
This is on XP pro. I have VisualStudio 2005 and SQL Server Express
I have uninstalled all SQL Server components, and reinstalled it. But I
still see this Windows Update error.
We were advised by MS support to contact SQL support due to a corrupt SQL
Server component. Still researching.
I noticed in the error log in the following update log file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
.... that the update was trying to access a file in a temp directory on my Y:
This seemed odd, since there were no system files on my Y: drive. It is a
virtual drive created by dragging a SUBST script for one of my C:
subdirectories into my Startup folder.
I temporarily unmounted the Y: drive, and the next Windows update succeeded!
Re: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
Hi i got this solution on microsoft support and it works on me.
Method 1: Grant the Full Control permission on the Data folder and on all the files in the Data folder
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open the following folder:
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\MSSQL
2. Right-click the Data folder, and then click Sharing and Security.
3. In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.
4. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
5. Under Permissions for Administrators, click to select the Allow check box for the Full Control permission.
6. Click OK.
7. Open the Data folder.
8. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
9. On the File menu, click Properties.
10. In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.
11. Repeat steps 4 through 6.
12. Reinstall SQL Server 2005 SP1.
Back to the top
Method 2: Install the correct version of the SQL Server Setup Support files
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Export the MSIRefCount\Uninstall registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then click OK to open Registry Editor.
2. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Bootstrap\MSIRefCount
3. In the right panel, click the Uninstall registry entry.
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. Specify a location and a file name, and then click Save.
Notice that the value of the MSIRefCount\Uninstall registry entry contains references to all the components that are dependant on the SQL Server Setup Support files.
2. Uninstall the existing SQL Server Setup Support files by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Note When you try to uninstall the SQL Server Setup Support files, you receive a warning message that resembles the following:
Warning 26002. The following products(s) is dependent on Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English). If you uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English), they will be broken. Please uninstall those product(s) first. Do you want to go ahead to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English) anyway?
When you receive this warning message, click Yes.
3. Reinstall the 9.00.1399.06 version of the SQL Server Setup Support files. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open the Servers\Setup folder from the SQL Server 2005 installation media.
Note If you use the SQL Server 2005 installation CDs, not the DVD, to install SQL Server 2005, the Setup folder that you must access is on the Servers CD.
2. Double-click the SqlSupport.msi file to install the 9.00.1399.06 version of the SQL Server Setup Support files.
3. Follow the installation wizard through the rest of the installation processes.
4. Import the registry setting through the registry file that you saved in step 1.
5. Reinstall SQL Server 2005 SP1.
|Tags: error 1635, kb948109, msp file, windows installer, windows update|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Similar Threads for: "KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file"|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Unable to install Sony DSC-W530 Cybershot on Windows XP, error with PBM Installer.||Gopya41||Portable Devices||3||13-05-2012 10:44 AM|
|Unable to install Nero because Windows installer not updated||Kumbakaran||Windows Software||5||04-07-2011 10:15 AM|
|Install error. "Windows Installer cannot update... protected files||Mae Huckett||Office Setup||3||14-08-2010 10:53 PM|
|Windows Live Messenger Installation Error 1635||Rutajit||Windows Software||3||03-09-2009 12:07 AM|
|KB948109 Fails to install||Plazz||Windows Update||7||12-07-2008 07:17 AM|