Thread: Can't ((Reinstall Windows Or Linux!)) Freezes & BSOD

Exclamation Can't ((Reinstall Windows Or Linux!)) Freezes & BSOD

Thank you for looking!

This all started about 2 weeks ago. Maybe its a coincidence but this was around the same few days i first installed Service Pack 3 for Windows XP Home. Here is some sys info first.

Basically the main problem is that i can't reinstall Windows XP Home or Linux. I started getting random reboots and BSODs from windows so i formatted and tried to reinstall Windows but now it keeps giving me BSOD whenever its about to install setup files. I tried installing Linux Gentoo DVD LIVE and Gentoo Min also. And in this case I get random freezing or when i am about to make a recommended Partition it freezes on me and the keyboard lights begin flashing which I hear is linux's own error message method. So thats the issue in a nutshell.

AMD 64 3400+
    512M RAM
    512M RAM
    = 1GB RAM
    80 GB Hard Drive Seagate Baracuda
    Windows XP
    DVD-ROM ASUS
    CD-RW ASUS
    K8N Delux Asus Motherboard
    Floppy Drive
    Nvidia 6800 GT 258M

Tested RAM with MemTest: No Errors after 4 passes
    Tried Seagate Tools to run a long scan found no errors.
    Tried Seagate Tools to run Zero Fill format.
    Tried to Format C: and reinstall Windows XP. I am getting a BSOD just before i get to the install setup screen for windows XP. So i can't even install Windows XP.

BSOD: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, IRQ not equal or less errors, Page Fault errors and also a few other errors went by so fast i could only remember a few words "Mem Dump" "Check to see if you have adequate disk space"

I've tried virus scanners when i can haven't seemed to find any thing maybe its just hiding in the bios?

My computer doesn't lock up or freeze in BIOs or DOS.

I've tried to install Linux DVD LIVE some times it freezes. When it doesn't freeze i get as far as the partition screen and when i click select recommended layout for the partition it freezes on me. I've tried this in the Gentoo Min Install command prompt also. I get a long list of error messages from that too. I can post them. I just wanna get my computer working again it feels like this nightmare started when i installed service pack 3 about 2 weeks ago...
    The thing is i formatted the computer a dozen times using my Windows Home XP CD so it should have erased any trace of service pack 3.
    I tried CHKDSK /r and CHKDSK /p from the Windows Recovery Console with no positive results.
    I even tried other file systems, FAT 32, EXT2 & EXT3 (for Gentoo)
    I tried CD Operating systems even... something called NimbleX for the CD drive. That freezed on me after 10 minutes of use also.

If your willing to give me your opinion please I'd love to hear it?

Maybe replace the RAM? (But my Memtest said they were fine can that test not detect issues?)

Maybe replace Hard Drive? (I've formatted it tons of times its made me restart the computer tons of times maybe i damaged it?)

Maybe the CPU has been damaged? I live in a very hot environment I recently cleaned the dust from my CPU heat sink so the temps have been fine about a month before this problem started. However please let me know if these problems sound similar to a CPU heat damaged issue. (Again my Computer has been working just fine for about at least a month in between after I cleaned the dust and just recently with this freezing and not letting me install any OP situation)

Maybe my motherboard is damaged somehow? like from a hacker?

Maybe its something i haven't thought of?

Well, i think its the mobo that is dying? Have you checked replacing the psu? Sometimes if the psu is dying you get lots of freezes & shutdowns.

EINSTEIN_007 Thank you for your response!

Is there someway i can check to see if it is the PSU for sure?

The thing is there are so many possible components going wrong.

My freezes only seem to happen when I'm doing formats for new file systems particularly ext3 or if I'm trying to do setups for linux.

I've got a antec neopower 650W right now...

Please let me know if there is a way to know for sure its my PSU?

Hey,

I just totally unplugged the Hard Drive and then tried a DVD OP (NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux !) and it froze on me once i got in the desktop for Nimblex.

I've ruled out PSU... Antec NeoPower 650W
    I've ruled out CD & DVD drives... Tried using my external drive just in case
    I've ruled out virus... tried this with out the hard drive
    I've ruled out CPU temps... its at 43 C

Now that this problem still happens even after i unplug the hard drive i guess does that mean its the RAM?

Or could it still be the Hard Drive some how???

I did try using only 1 stick of RAM but its still happening... either both are OK and its something else or both are damaged.
    My RAM are Duel Channel btw if that helps...

Any insights most appreciated?

Have you considered that your problem may not be system RAM but may be video RAM on your video card?

They are both DDR and do pretty much the same thing. I have been having this problem for a week (same error messages) and contacted microsoft who suggested it was either RAM or my video card. New RAM was bought, so that is ruled out. I tried to run my video card at reduced settings (suggested by Microsoft) but that did nothing so I took my Video card out and am running on the embedded system video to see if I get the messages again.