Thread: Automatic Gain Control

Automatic Gain Control

Can it really be true that this doesn't exist as a software plugin ? Not looking for stereo enhancer, multiband compression with agc type stuff. Just a pure and simple AGC.

Audiounit is my highest priority, but I could also use VST and DirectX.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
    Can it really be true that this doesn't exist as a software plugin ? Not looking for stereo enhancer, multiband compression with agc type stuff. Just a pure and simple AGC.
    But what is exactly AGC??? What is meant for?

What I did to save rebooting each time was to leave the Device Manager open at "Sound,video and game controllers" and right-click on the Conexant HD item, disable it then re-enable it immediately after each tweak.

I'm not sure about any AGC on my computer, and I didn't play with IntMicDefaultBoostGainStep.

Yeah . . . . I've been looking for a piece of AGC software for music too.

I know that compressing music loses it's "dynamics" . . . but when you are trying to make up compilations of music from varioous sources, it's really hard to get the relative volume the same across all tracks.

Compression and Normalization can get you so far, but this is the first software I have seen with AGC.

Quote Originally Posted by elldeegee View Post
    But what is exactly AGC??? What is meant for?
    Read this- A discussion on the Automatic Gain Control (AGC)

Some audio cards have auto level for the microphone. If yours has this feature, you could make a L-pad to go into the mic chan. Then use properties to select the mic chan for audio playback.
    However, the mic chan is often just mono.

I also listen to a lot of FM radio (classical music) in California. What's more, _my_ CDs (and I have a great many of them) which I make from this music (without using the WavePad AGC feature) are indistinguishable from the original FM broadcast, even to my very finicky and well-trained ear. Therefore, I have great difficulty understanding why you need to degrade the quality of your music by subjecting it to AGC, unless the particular music that you are listening to is flawed to begin with; i.e., by having such a wide dynamic range (from soft to loud) that it cannot be accommodated without excessive distortion, etc.