Thread: File summary tab is turned off.

sad File summary tab is turned off.

Hi,
    I just installed SP3 on XP Pro.
    It disabled [File properties | Summary tab] for (only) zip files.

My comments for these files are sill there.
    I can see them in a little utility I have, but they do not show in the “details” folder view anymore, nor from file properties.

Where/how in the registry can I switch it back on?

Thank you,
    Richard H

try changing the properties of the file to Read Only, Hidden & Archive

Thanks for answering. I tried it (read only,hidden,archive), but the tab is still "unavailable". It was worth a shot, though.

It may seem like a minor anoyance, but I'm working on a project using comments. I'm thinking there's a dword or something amiss in the registry.

Richard

what type of rar is it?
    might be the file be corrupt?

It only applies to zip files - system-wide. I just checked a rar that I had (I don't have that many), and it's just fine. The summary tab is active. I have a small file information utility that I installed after the the problem occured. It shows that the zip file comments are intact; I just can't see them or access them with windows. I should have waited for the bugs to be worked out, before installing a major update like SP3.

Richard

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem - Zip files only. Summary tab turned off. The message says: "Summary properties are unavailable for selected source(s)." The problem started over the last 2-6 weeks and I'm guessing is tied to an SP3 Update for XP Professional (Don't have the problem on second PC where the Update was cancelled).

Did anyone find a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    I'm having the same problem - Zip files only. Summary tab turned off. The message says: "Summary properties are unavailable for selected source(s)." The problem started over the last 2-6 weeks and I'm guessing is tied to an SP3 Update for XP Professional (Don't have the problem on second PC where the Update was cancelled).

Did anyone find a fix?
    when you move a file from one dir to another ,but on the same volume the permissions stick with it since the file doesn't really go anywhere. but if you copy within the same volume or move (or copy) from one volume to another then the file is actually written to disk and inherits the permissions set for the folder it is put into. that's default , and ther are switches/options to use which can change that behaviour.

Thanks for the post - I've seen this post before in my searches to fix this issue. It gives one hope that the problem is fixable. What switches/options? I've looked at Folder Options and Registry values and compared with settings from the other PC.

Thanks Bency - Looks like I can stop looking for a configuration issue. If I read this correctly, the Summary Information will be disappearing from other file types as well.