Thread: best antivirus??

best antivirus??

hey guys,
    i'm currently using Panda antivirus 2005....but i have noticed tht my system has slowed down after installing it...

earlier i was using the McAfee a/v but it kept on giving a W32/sdbot.ftp virus found alert....irritated me to the core....

suggest a good a/v which doesnt really strain the system resources tht much..

thanks

In my view both Kaspersky and AVG are good....

was using kaspersky for some time...very good...using nod32 right now...as good as kaspersky
    I have around 1 - 3% CPU usage all the time - why is there such a huge differences between what I get and what you and SunMysore get ?
    NAH !! I have a P4 2.4C which I run often at 3.0 but today I am at stock speed.
    Hmm...i wud get tht like....1 in 2 boots...in the other boot, comp wud run fine and proc usage was 1-3%.....
    this happened after i updated my kaspersky to the latest edition only...the old one worked fine though
    I Switched over from norton - avg - avast and now on nod32 and completley hooked on to it . it works ok on its default but once you tweak it its amazing I bet you wont choose any other anti virus once u have used nod32
    i've currently switched over to McAfee 8
    doesnt eat the system resources like the Panda...
    gonna check it out for a while....
    comes with a firewall...preety decent on the first impression

The BEST AV is Kaspersky. Go to their site and download the trial version. It is very good.

I have a lot of problems for thr last couple of weeks downloading the virus list updates for AVG. Driving me crazy. The program is good and its FREE so too many users blocking up the downloads.

mlnunes Guest
    huh? no such probs exist for me, luckily
    btw, try to configure it properly...
    like i've set updates to be downloaded once a week only..
    apart frm tat, its not necessary to do a system scan everyday.
    i do it once in 10-15 days...but if u frequently get cd/dvd/floppy frm
    others, just do a scan for those only...
    whenever not needed, like while playin games etc..try to turn it off
    coz tat will save ya huge resources...
    you just need to figure out wat works best for you..
    since almost all antivirus programs will use significant resources..

more than virus its the spy/adwares that does the damage..
    if u're careful abt virus that is...like while downloading mails, don execute
    any attachment tat you don recognize. Always keep ur anti-virus on
    while downloading mails...n yes use a anti-spyware simulataneously.
    one tat i'm using currently is "Microsoft Anti-Spyware". It always
    runs in the background but still consumes very little memory..abt 4MB only.

ujjwal Guest
    Considering low resource usage, AVG or Avast are the best options you can try plus both are free.

I use AVG, and its pretty much great in all aspects ... but yes, updating it in peak hours can be a problem. Does anyone know of AVG update mirrors?

The only AV i ever liked is Symantec Antivirus CORPORATE Edition, Counter part -- norton is the WORST i ever see.
    Symantec Corporate is cool little Dude that doesnt offload ur system -- niether bugs u -- tells u anything-- just quitly scan system in the background -- the running load is just like as if there is no antivirus at all. The recent version 9.1 also incoroporates Email Scanning so it makes it complete as it was not there in previous versions . So my vote goes to SAV -corp Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mehargags
    The only AV i ever liked is Symantec Antivirus CORPORATE Edition, Counter part -- norton is the WORST i ever see.
    Symantec Corporate is cool little Dude that doesnt offload ur system -- niether bugs u -- tells u anything-- just quitly scan system in the background -- the running load is just like as if there is no antivirus at all. The recent version 9.1 also incoroporates Email Scanning so it makes it complete as it was not there in previous versions . So my vote goes to SAV -corp Edition
    Before Kaspersky and AVG I used NAV Corp 9 and it was a sleeping GIANT.... never once did it ever say "VIRUS ATTACK" ... it was like you said "as if there is no antivirus at all" ..... when I installed Kaspersky after removing NAV Corp it found 7 viruses !

The latest version of NAV Corp which I saw last week was v9.0.3.1000..... I hear this one has some improvements.

prying eyes Guest
    I use AVG, and its pretty much great in all aspects ... but yes, updating it in peak hours can be a problem. Does anyone know of AVG update mirrors?
    Why u people r too lazy to do a google???

With AVG 6, there was a trick of adding alternative server locations to an .ini file - but there's no option to do this with the recent AVG7 release.

here's the fix for slow updates:

(Your hosts file in windows 9x/me is in your windows folder with no
    extension.
    In XP/2k its in windows\system32\drivers\etc with no extension.)

1. Open up your hosts file in notepad.
    2. Add the following line

193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com

What this does is actually tells your computer to connect to www.grisoft.com
    (which works) and not guru.grisoft.com to perform updates.

it does work (notifies you in <1sec if updates are available) - but how long before Grisoft catch onto what's happening is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by prying eyes; 08-02-2005 at 01:31 PM.

my personal favorite is PC-Cillin (using v12 2005) currently on all my machines - it doesn't take up too much system resources, doesn't slow your system down too much and the protection it offers is on par, if not better than the best antiviruses out there and in my book, the best do NOT include Norton and McAfee which are overrated and overbloated resource-hogging crap products
    Intel S875WP1-E Entry Level Server Board
    P4 3.0C + Thermalright XP-120 + Panaflo Ultra Speed 120 mm 114-116 cfm
    Kingston ValueRAM PC3200/DDR400 1024 MB (DC 512*2)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
    PowerColor 9800XT 256 MB
    Seagate 120 GB SATA + Vantec Vortex HDD Cooler
    Maxtor 60 GB PATA
    Benq DW1620Pro DVDRW
    Asus DVD-E616P DVD-ROM
    Lian-Li PC-61 + Antec TruePower 430W
    Logitech MX500 + Ratpadz GS

vishal kadakia Guest

Re: best antivirus??

hi,

there are many good AN softwares available. norton is good, so is mcafee and so is AVG, but which is the best?? well honestly speaking, i would reconn kaspersky. the reason i say its the best coz, it consumes less resources and has accurate scanning technoque. unlike others, it doesnot need manual updating as it updates automatically and installs the updates whenever released or for that sake every 1 hrs.

I use Avast Antivirus and I'm very happy with it. I have tried Norton and some of the other brands and the worst by far is Norton. There is absolutely no point in using an antivirus program that annoys you and slows your system down more than viruses or worms do! Avast updates very frequently but you can set it so that it does so without constantly throwing alerts in your face.
    It is always wise to avoid choosing software just because it is what came with your computer or because it's popular. My advice is to try using trial software (antivirus that is) until it runs out, then move on to other free trial software until you find something that suits your needs, but be warned!! You will need to know how to manually uninstall programs to get rid of Norton.

i'v been using AntiVir.....its very lite on the system....
    and its free...
    never had any virus problems...[touch wood...]
    http://www.free-av.com/

P IV 2.80c GHz [HT] ASUS V9900/TD [475/950] 1 GB pc3200 Ram [2.5-3-3-7]

maeng Guest

the best anti-virus is mcafee total protection.. no need for full scan it will track the
    virus...each entry in windows have a system guard so it will prompt you if you have virus running in your system...but mcafee automatically delete unwanted programs in your pc or laptop...mcafee have lot of features that other anti-virus others don't have...the problems are you need to buy this software..but if you to get it for free just email me..ill give you the link...here's my email add... ismaelbilarma@gmail.com or chat with me in yahoo...ismael_088@yahoo.com..im always online...

DefenderOfComputers Guest

Kaspersky good is real good
    AVG good for the sake of people saying so.