Thread: Software to complete wipe out a external hard drive on mac

Software to complete wipe out a external hard drive on mac

I am looking for a tool that can help me to completely delete a data of a external hard drive on mac. I can find many software for Windows, but I am unable to locate anything for mac pc. I hope there are tools that can help me to securely wipe out the entire data from the drive. I had tried finding out some tools. I can find formatting software which are not going to help much. I need something that can securely clean the external drive. I had kept a lot of photos in that. And I am quiet worried about sharing the drive with my friends. I hope they wont be able to recover anything from that.

Re: Software to complete wipe out a external hard drive on mac

If you are really worried about the data in the drive then you can try Darik's Boot and Nuke bootable method. You just have to download this and burn that on a DVD. Then boot your pc through that and simply choose the drive to format. That's it. It is the fastest and most easiest way through which you can completely destroy a data of a external drive. There are many third party software, but I think Darik's Boot and Nuke is the best one. I had used this on my mac system before selling it off. It is very effective and after wiping out your drive with this you wont need to worry much.

Re: Software to complete wipe out a external hard drive on mac

Data remains recoverable even after a regular format. So here using a few tools for that is helpful. Darik's Boot and Nuke method is complicated according to me. And I don't know whether it supports a external hard drive or not. You can try using Permanent Eraser. This is a free tool that works by formatting all the data from the external storage. Then you can try using some other data recovery software and see whether the file is recoverable or not. I am quiet sure you wont really need to worry much after using this tool. Just test this one and see what output you are getting from the same.