Thread: installing gpedit.msc on Windows 7 manually

installing gpedit.msc on Windows 7 manually

I am having Windows 7 home installed in my computer and if I am trying to update the Chrome browser on my pc, then I am getting an error 7 message which tells me to use the group policy editor to change the Update Group Policy settings. But, as a recall, there is no Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 7 home version? So if anyone knows how to do this then it will be much helpful. Thanks

Re: installing gpedit.msc on Windows 7 manually

With the Home version of Windows 7, you already know that gpedit.msc is not compatible or you can say that it is not included in the same version of the OS. If you can let us know in details what exact issue you are facing with Chrome then we would be able to help me more precisely. You can try to do one thing, first of all open command prompt and then type this text : cd "C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\"
    and then run this - GoogleUpdate.exe /RegServer

The group policy editor is a feature for Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows 7. You will not get it in the Starter, Home Basic and Home Premium version of the operating system. But incase you want gpedit then you can try to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade your Home OS to Professional or Ultimate version without loosing any of your data installed in your machine. Check the below links if you want to get more information about it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...me-upgrade-faq

There is a Group Policy Editor Installer that you can download from this link. Once you have downloaded the zip file then extract it with tools such as winzip or winrar. After that you need to setup.exe file that extracted from the zip file. The installation of the files will begin and once it is done then you will be able to access gpedit.msc command by going to Start and then in the search box type in gpedit.msc command. Hope this helps you out.