Thread: What can be done to speedup vmware

What can be done to speedup vmware

I am having a bit issue with vmware. I had installed mac on the same and it is very slow in output. I am having a 64bit system with 8GB ram and a dedicated 2GB graphic card. The pc is having good hardware config. I had downloaded vmware image of few OS and added them directly. When I turn it on it takes long time to start. And sometime I am not able to do anything. I am using mac and windows based operating system on the same.

Re: What can be done to speedup vmware

Slow performance can be due to various reason. You said you have a good hardware, but still in virtualization there can be issue. If you are using windows based Os then you can try defragging your drive. You can use the default disk defragmentation software in the same. Or you can also use many third party programs. So just do this first and then test back. If this does not help then I will recommend you to re-install everything.

Do not install to many application on the virtual os. Like avoid using a antivirus or any other tool that can be heavy on the system. When you create a new virtual partition, you are assigning a fix amount of hard drive space and ram to the system. 8GB does not means you are providing the full 8GB ram. You might have assigned 1GB or lower. Increase that and checkout. Try to find other image files of OS.

There are few performance things that you can do if you have windows installed in the virtual platform. You can turn off unnecessary visual effects that will boost the output. For that you have to go in Control Panel and click on System. Then go in Advance Tab and click on Performance Settings. From there you can turn off things which are not needed. Just keep limited things only on. Better tick on adjust for best performance. That will do the job.

Compare to regular hard drive, I had seen vmware works much better on a ssd. If you can go for upgrade then that is the best solution. Regular hard drive is limited due to its rpm. And there is no way you can boost that. SSDs are much more faster. I had seen many people face this performance issue due to slow hard drive, even after having a good amount of ram and processor. While in SSD does not rely on rpm.

When you creating a virtual os platform instead of using dynamic platform use fixed size. This will be better. And to boost up the speed there is no other option other than allocating more ram that you can change anytime. So just increase a bit amount of ram and test back. If it works well then you can tweak your windows by removing unnecessary stuff. For a good output you need atleast 6GB of ram for an OS.