Thread: Windows 8 Maps cannot find my location

Windows 8 Maps cannot find my location

Its been a month now i upgraded my Windows 7 to Win 8 successfully. Everything is working great on this except the Maps. It is still not able to find my correct location though the system remains connected to internet 24 x 7. I tried connecting it directly with ethernet cable, also via router, even tried connecting with my mobile's internet, but still the map never show correct location. Are your guys Maps working good? Is there any special settings to make the maps show Our proper location? Or is it a bug with Maps? Please help.

Re: Windows 8 Maps cannot find my location

In order to get the proper locations, you should have enabled your location on the system and that particular applications should be allowed to use location. Most importantly, Maps should always be allowed to use location for better results.

So if you haven't enabled the same yet, do it now by going to Settings > Location. Enable the same and select Allow apps to use my location. Now restart the Map and see if it is able to find your exact location.

I appreciate your help buddy, but that is the first thing that i enabled when i was not able to get my location. Also the Maps is allowed to access my location. Still the problem remains.

Now what?

You should try troubleshooting the Maps because the problem seems to be just yours, my Map is working great. Just to troubleshoot this problem, you should be knowing that by default, some apps are blocked by Windows Firewall to help make your PC more secure. To work properly, you might need to allow an app to receive info through the firewall. Also go to Microsoft Store and see if there is any update for the Map. If yes, update it and see if the problem is fixed.

At last you can try re-installing the Map. Re-installation should surely fix the problem.

You are somewhat correct Muwafaq that re-installation fixes most of the problems with app functionality but I don’t think it is going to work here. Even I had this same problem earlier. My Map was also not showing up the proper locations. Tried several things including updating, Syncing the app license, res-installing the app but nothing helped. Finally I just performed the System Refresh which fixed the problem however I removed all my third party apps and I had to re-install them again. If you want you can give it a try.