Thread: Which is the most powerful file archiver

Which is the most powerful file archiver

I am using Winrar as the default archiving utility. It is fine but not great in terms of giving out good compression rate. Depend on the file it creates a archive. And it is just useless for video and audio. I am looking for a powerful file archiving utility that can help me to create a more light weight archive which I can share through email. I hope there will be something.

Re: Which is the most powerful file archiver

Nope. Winrar is the only best solution available. To share large files, there are different options available. But anyhow the user on other side will have to download it which is another time consuming process.

Commonly used file archiving utilities are Winrar, 7-Zip, PeaZip, etc. There is no great difference among them. They just allow you get a portable size. The size affect lies around 10 to 20%. Or a bit higher. But if you are looking for something that can simply reduces a file to 90%, then it is complicate. The process will be also complicated. I had seen some guys on torrent who share a game of 8GB or 10GB compressed to 2GB or 4GB. They use some powerful archiving utility. But on the same hand it takes relatively long time to un-compress it back to normal. That is one of the most annoying feature. Compression/decompression needs a powerful system that can allow you to get your file extracted instantly. One tool which I found on web when I was searching for such stuff is PowerArchiver. This tool is termed as one of the best file archiving utility that gives you great ratio. Just download and test it out. I think this would be helpful. When I have to share a large set of files with my friends, I usually break the files to different packet size. And then I attach them to my email.

Instead of attaching them on email just upload it on some download website. It will be more better. Ample of download websites offer you large file uplode. From email also the user will have to download it. So better download it through file sharing website.

There is one more way to transfer huge file. Like if it is around 1GB or larger. The first creating a torrent link and then distributing to your friends. If all your friends are frequently sharing the same files, then just ask them to seed to give you more better transfer speed. The second way is to use a ftp server. You can make your pc a ftp server and give the login details to your friends. That is another simple way of pulling data. While the last option is to use a extreme compression utility. It takes really long time but it really works. It is called as KGB archiver. This utility is capable of giving you really high compression rate. You can compress a file to 50% of lower compare to the exact size. It is really effective and works well when you want to share files on the web with your friends. It is a very time consuming process. If you are having a latest system then it might work fast.