Thread: Unable to get picture to display as thumbnail preview on Windows 8

Unable to get picture to display as thumbnail preview on Windows 8

I recently upgraded one of my Windows 7 system to Win 8 successfully. Its been a week to this process and i was doing settings and learning the new OS so far. Finally i am done but found a small problem, infact it is a huge problem for me. None of my images in the My Picture folder appears as thumbnails. No matter what i do, it just wont appear.

I remember when i use to have such problems with my Win 7, i simple uncheck the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option from Windows Explorer folder options. I did the same here but it dint worked. I also found the option 'Show thumbnails instead of icons' already enabled in system properties, but yet no success. Now i dont have any idea what should be done to get the thumbnails.

As i have more than 1000 pictures on the system i cannot open each everytime to continue my work, hence i need the thumbnails anyhow. Please help.

Re: Unable to get picture to display as thumbnail preview on Windows 8

Hello M.N.S, i have a small query before i could suggest you any suggestion. Can you tell me if the problem is with any particular picture or all pictures?

Also is it with any particular image format like PNG or JPEG, etc? Or happening with all file formats? What is the file format at present which is not showing up the thumbnail?

Well the problem is with all types of images including png, gif, jpg, jpeg, etc. The same files are showing up as thumbnails on my one another Windows 8 as well as windows 7 computers but not only on my system. So the problem is somewhere on my system itself. I am not able to figure it out. Hope anyone here can help me out with the same.

Well to me it seems like thumbnails are turned off from the registry itself. Here is what you need to do:
    • Go to Metro screen and type ‘gpedit.msc’. This will bring you the group policy editor in the results. Click the same.
    • Now navigate to the following location:
    • User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar.
    • Here in the right pane you will see an option named “Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails”
    • Double click the same and set it to Disabled.

That’s it. Save and exit. Restart the computer and see if your thumbnails are back.

Hello M.N.S,

It may sound silly but I would like to ask whether you have selected the option “Medium icons” or ‘Large icons’ from the drop down which appears on the windows explore r bar?

Nice question Valdis, by the way I’m not so newbie.

Anyways, thank you very much for the help Maq. That was the one that fixed my problem. Disabling the “Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails” option from group policy brought back the picture thumbnails back but still the video thumbnails not appearing? Does it requires something extra?

In order to make your Video thumbnails you should have proper video codecs installed on your system. Search “Windows 8 Codec” on web and download compatible one.

That’s it.