Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to extract .TAR.XZ file

Windows Software

Old 16-01-2013

How to extract .TAR.XZ file

I have downloaded some files and they are in .TAR.XZ format, I am not able to make out which program I have to use it for opening it. Currently I am running OS X Mountain Lion but I have a system running windows 7 as well. So just let me know the program that can help me extract it, help regarding this will be appreciated.

Old 17-01-2013

Re: How to extract .TAR.XZ file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaural View Post
I have downloaded some files and they are in .TAR.XZ format, I am not able to make out which program I have to use it for opening it. Currently I am running OS X Mountain Lion but I have a system running windows 7 as well. So just let me know the program that can help me extract it, help regarding this will be appreciated.
.TAR format file is created using Tar archive and XZ compression tools, its compressed using .XZ compression. Since you have windows, you can check out 7-Zip. If you have linux installed in any system then you can check out Tukaani XZ Utils and Tukaani XZ Embedded
Old 17-01-2013

As far as I am aware you can install xz-utils but then you will have to use Fink. Fink is required for extracting .xz archives from the terminal. You can use StuffIt for extracting .xz archives but then they wonít run on OS X Mountain Lion.
Other than that you can check out Unarchiver, itís free software and supports Mac OS X 10.4 and higher. It should work with OS X Mountain Lion as well.
Old 17-01-2013

You can check out GUI Tar as well. It is supported by Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later. Itís a wrapper application which can be used as front end for 7za, tar, gzip, bzip2, un/compress, unrar, unzip, and zip UNIX utilities. It can uncompress and extract files from archives like 7z, .tar, .tgz, .tar.gz, .dmg.gz, .svgz, .gz, .tar.z, .z, .Z, .tar.Z, .taz, .tbz, .tbz2, .bz, .bz2, .rar, and .zip. It can compress and/or archive a collection of files in .7z, .bz2, .tar, .tbz, .tgz, .gz, .Z and many more.
Just make sure that you are downloading and installing the latest version of GUI Tar.
Old 18-01-2013

You can sue any of the below programs for opening tar file on Mac OS X:
EZ 7z for Mac OS X
7zX for Mac OS X
keka - the free Mac OS X file archiver

Ill like to inform you:
.tgz is equivalent to .tar.gz
.tbz, .tbz2 and .tb2 are equivalent to .tar.bz2
.taz is equivalent to .tar.Z
.tlz is equivalent to .tar.lz
.txz is equivalent to .tar.xz
Old 18-01-2013

Ez7z is simply the best, It is an easy-to-use archiver which will allow you to carry out all of the below tasks:
Extract 7z, bzip2, gz, rar, tar, and zip files.
View and delete contents of an archive without opening it
Create, verify, and repair par2 files
Process multiple files at time

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software