Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add drop-down menu in Word ?

How to add drop-down menu in Word ?

hi,

I want to ask whether there is a feature of adding a drop down menu in a Microsoft Word document. If yes, then how can I do that ? .... Any ideas

Re: How to add drop-down menu in Word ?

To add a Drop-Down Menu in Microsoft Word -
    • On the Tools menu in Word, point to Macro and click Visual Basic Editor.
    • In the Visual Basic Editor, click References on the Tools menu.
    • Under Available References, click to select Microsoft Office 9.0 Object Library, and then click OK.

The following sample Visual Basic for Applications macro adds a custom menu item (New Menu) to the main menu bar (Menu Bar), and then adds a submenu drop-down (Sub Menu) to the New Menu item.

Code:
    Sub AddMenuItem()

Dim oMainMenuBar As Object
       Dim oNewMenu As Object
       Dim oSubMenu As Object

' Save changes to menu bars in the Normal (default) Template.
       CustomizationContext = Application.NormalTemplate

' Specify the CommandBar to add to. In this example, the New Menu
       ' item is added to the Word for Windows default menu bar.
       Set oMainMenuBar = CommandBars.Item("Menu Bar")

' Create New Menu object and add it to the built-in Menu Bar.
       Set oNewMenu = oMainMenuBar.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup)
       oNewMenu.Caption = "New Menu Item"

' Create a submenu item for the New Menu menu item.
       Set oSubMenu = oNewMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoBarTypeMenuBar)

With oSubMenu
          ' Give the submenu item a reference name and display text.
          .Caption = "Sub Menu"
          ' Specify macro to run when user clicks the submenu item.
          .OnAction = "NewMenuMacro"
       End With

End Sub
    The following sample macro runs when the user clicks the submenu item Sub Menu.

Code:
    Sub NewMenuMacro()

Dim myMenuItem as Object

Set myMenuItem = CommandBars("Menu Bar").Controls("New Menu Item")
       MsgBox myMenuItem.Caption

End Sub

This can be done very easily. Follow the steps -

• Open the Word document and Click on the View Menu and go down to Toolbars.
    • When the menu opens select the Forms toolbar. You will have more control if this is done inside of a table but is doesn't have to be.
    • Click on a space in the document and then select Drop Down Menu from the forms tool bar you opened.
    • After the menu is inserted Right Click on the menu you just inserted and select properties.
    • Now just add what you want to the list.

To make a drop down box in Microsoft Word, you must first turn on the Forms toolbar as this is the toolbar that contains all the Forms function.
    The Forms toolbar is shown below:

To create a drop down box simply click on the third button along that looks like a drop down box. Be sure to select where you want the drop down box to be placed before clicking on the Drop-Down Form Field button.

The next step in the process of setting up the drop-down list is to add the drop down item. First you need to open the Drop-Down Form Field Options dialog box. To do this simply right click over the drop down field you inserted and choose the Properties command from the shortcut menu.

You should see the Drop-Down Form Field Options dialog box. To add a drop down item simply type in the names you require in the Drop-Down item text box and then press the Add button. This will add the item into the drop down box. Keep adding the items till you are finished.

Now that you have completed adding the items to you Drop-down box simply press the OK button.

I have a forms field drop down in the first lien of my doc. This drop down is of all the country names. what i want is , when i select a particular country in the very next line the country capital name should be automatically fill. Is that possible. I WOULD BE HIGHLY GREATFUL IF THE FORUM COULD HELP ME.

How to add drop-down menu in Word 2010?

You can add drop down menus and any other form element in a Microsoft Word 2010 document very easily.

I am uploading some screen shots with each step, that you can follow to reach the drop-down option.

If you still have any question regarding this, please feel free to contact me via live chat feature on my website.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Adnan Saeed; 16-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.

I followed all the steps in the instructions carefully including adding the text I want to appear in the box.
    What I get is the field drop down 1: Choose an item: drop down 1

But there is no final step to protect the field in 2010 (unlike 2003) or in some other way to execute the commands and complete the process.
    Can you help? Thanks

I am bumping this post because I have hit the same problem. What is the point of having both "display name" and "value" as form field options if they do nothing? Is there really no way of simply picking one value to display another from a drop down list. In my case I want to be able to alphebetise my display names like:

Display name: Caps Red Value: Red Caps
    Display name: Caps Green Value: Green Caps
    Display name: Caps Orange Value: Orange Caps

This way all the "Caps" are under C in the list, making them easy to locate

but then if the user selects one of these display names from the drop down the field should show the value: Orange Caps. But it doesn't, it shows "Caps Orange"

Why on earth does this simple and logical control not function in Word 2010?

Is there a relatively simple workaround?

Here are some steps that can help you. For that go in View Menu > Toolbars > Customize. Then go in tab control category in the box. After that click on New Menu and then select new menu commands in the box. You can rename it by changing the selection menu. To create the list of sub-files to use in the command option choose open hyperlink. To link the file id placed in the customization window. Now to work with the same on Visual Basic is a bit complicated where it gives you errors. Better go for some tutorial for the same.

Thanks Nymphs.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to do what you suggest in Word 2010. I have options to customise quick access toolbar or customise ribbon, but neither option reveals the controls you recommend

See there is a simple solution for the problem what you have to do is go to the forms in order to go to the forms, go to view and from there go to toolbars and then Forms. Now click on the Drop-Down Form Field button. Now in the form filed options what you have to do is add each option under the Drop down item and also make sure that you have checked the option of enable drop down. Now click on OK. That will be the perfect trick for you and as far as i know this is the only solutions that must work out here.

ThumbsUp Re: How to add drop-down menu in Word 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Saeed View Post
    You can add drop down menus and any other form element in a Microsoft Word 2010 document very easily.

I am uploading some screen shots with each step, that you can follow to reach the drop-down option.

If you still have any question regarding this, please feel free to contact me via live chat feature on my website.
    Your instructions were awesome! Thank you.

Unfortunately none of the suggested solutions work for me Have windows 2010, please help, cause I'm starting to loose my marbels...

It is also possible in Word 2010. To add a drop down box first you have to create a list. If the list is empty you can see nothing. First you need the Developers button on Ribbon. That you can get from the above mentioned method. Click on Developer and on that you can see a icon Aa. This is for inserting Rich content Text. Click on that. A box will appear. Now in Developer section on Ribbon Click on Properties. Give a title to the box and below keep on adding the list of item you want. Once done click the next button and you can see the drop down list.

Hi,

I am also trying to create a drop-down list in MS Word 2010. I have enabled the Developers tab but the content control properties or Aa etc seem to be disabled.

Will there be a reason for this and can it be enabled?

Kind regards,
    D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast