Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista and Quicktime 7.4 ActiveX control error 46

Vista and Quicktime 7.4 ActiveX control error 46

I use QuickTime (7.3) and it works very well on Vista.
    But today I tried to upgrade to 7.4 version by installing it and I got an error message saying "Error 46: Quicktime could not load of find QuickTime ActiveX control."
    But if happens only when update the QT to the last version.

Can anybody help me?

The Solution: There is an old NT utility called SubInAcl.exe that can be used to reset permissions in Windows XP and also in Vista.

Step 1: Download from the link subinacl.msi http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23418 and install it.

Step 2: Download my modified version of reset.cmd from the attached file here and save the file in 'C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools'

Step 3: Now type 'reset.cmd' and hit Enter (without quotes)
    You will see the Command Line Tool running for some seconds. The issue should have been fixed and Quicktime should run again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

idea Re: Vista and Quicktime 7.4 ActiveX control error 46

Hello Viceman
    I have been looking for a solution to this problemfor a while now
    Hope you don't mind me eavsdropping
    I carried out your instructions and low and behold Quicktime loads
    Thank you very much keep up the good work:

Glad to hear that you got the things worked.

Sorry Viceman but where should I type 'reset.cmd' and hit Enter?

Thx for your help.
    Pp

Quote Originally Posted by pepin View Post

Thx for your help.
    Pp
    Start > Run > reset cmd

Hey, welcome to TechArena.

We are glad to be of help to you

the reset.cmd file gives "access deny" in most of the commands...
    not work for me...
    other idea?

regards,Dino

Quote Originally Posted by dinoide View Post
    the reset.cmd file gives "access deny" in most of the commands...
    not work for me...
    other idea?

regards,Dino
    hi there.
    unfortunately me too !!!

It must be because you are not running it in the administrator mode. Run it in administrator mode and you may be able to do this.

first thanks for help... 1 question how do i run in admin mode, on the run input ????

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    It must be because you are not running it in the administrator mode. Run it in administrator mode and you may be able to do this.

ACCESS DENY again... this is a big shit...

Re: Vista and Quicktime 7.4 ActiveX control error 46

Quote Originally Posted by pepin View Post
    You have to type it in this way,
    Start -> Run -> type reset.cmd and ten press enter.

Oh my god thank you so much! my quicktime randomly stopped working and it messed up my iTunes and everything and this worked!

resert.cmd does not work
    QuickTime player soes not work...

i'm borring due this stupid problem....

when i type in reset.cmd and it enter than it says that the name is incorrectly..
    any ideas

Have you guys followed complete procedure that viceman advised? The 'reset.cmd' will only work after downloading the given utility and following all the 3 steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceman View Post
    The Solution: There is an old NT utility called SubInAcl.exe that can be used to reset permissions in Windows XP and also in Vista.

Step 1: Download from the link subinacl.msi http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23418 and install it.

Step 2: Download my modified version of reset.cmd from the attached file here and save the file in 'C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools'

Step 3: Now type 'reset.cmd' and hit Enter (without quotes)
    You will see the Command Line Tool running for some seconds. The issue should have been fixed and Quicktime should run again.
    Download the Zip file provided by viceman.

I just ran the reset.cmd after a couple tries but I still get the Error 46.

Personally I think iTunes and Quicktime are shitty, but my wife loves her iPod so I have to get this fixed so I can update iTunes and Quicktime.

Thanks

Thank you-I followed your instructions to the letter and after being denied itunes for a week I am up and running. Had no chance if not for you thanks again.......................

Thanks for the fix -magic

i do not seem to have a folder called windows resources\tools. I am using Vista.

found the problem, the first install didn't load correctly. redid it, and the fix works. thanks.

OOps, spoke too soon, now I get 'Error -1856: An unkown error occured'

Thank you Viceman, worked perfectly. You're a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinzee View Post
    OOps, spoke too soon, now I get 'Error -1856: An unkown error occured'
    Any ideas???
    Error 1856 error is a registry error. I would download the Free program called CCleaner.
    http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/533699.htm

Make sure you do a registry backup when it asks you. This program will clean up your registry and help your computer run faster.

Thanks Viceman. I have a cleaner called RegistryBooster 2009. I ran it and found 113 problems. Unfortunately, after I rebooted, I still had the same problem. And, if I just clicked on the Quicktime program itself, it will not start at all. Any more suggestions?

Incidentally, I am running Vista Home Premium x32 on this machine. Also I just put together another machine on which I installed Ultimate x64 and I am having no problem running Quicktime.

The error which you are seeing is the result of a bad installation file...
    The downloadable installed file needs to be downloaded again until the program installs correctly.... Try downloading the full installer file to your desktop and running it from there.

Hope it should help......good luck

Well! i'v tried it all a few time even and it still doesnt work for me im on Vista 32, but all i have to do is use Firefox and forget about problems.

but i am still open to some help as my kids don't like changes and use Explorer.
    as for me iv been using firefox for years with out problems, ever!

thanks

I'm having the same problem - I downloaded the program, saved the new reset.cmd over the old one and I'm still getting the error 46. Any other ideas?? Please help!

Hey guys.
    I'm new here. I really need to get my Vista Ultimate x64 to run Quick Time. I need to load codecs for a film I'm editing, and I can't do a thing till I hav QT sorted out.
    Is there a different process for 64 bit Vista?

Right, the solution for Vista x64 would seem to be, when you go start - run, you need to drop down the browse tab, and physically navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools'
    Vista can then find the reset.cmd file.

Works like a dream now.

Thanks for the advice y'all.

Thank you very much Viceman... it worked perfectly, I just think you forgot to say that when we are supposed to type reset.cmd, Actually what we need to do is:
    1. Type cmd in the start menu and hit enter.
    2. Type cd c:\program files\windows resource kits\tools or cd c:\program files (x86)\windows resource kits\tools depending on your windows version and hit enter
    3. Type reset.cmd and hit enter

At least this was the main doubt that I had when doing the procedure...

This does work!!!! However, the only glitch one might not be aware is that you have to have the EXACT directory path to the file "reset.cmd" If you follow the instructions as above, when you click Start/Run and choose the "browse" Button to get the proper path. then it will all work. Good luck

ThumbsUp Re: Vista and Quicktime 7.4 ActiveX control error 46

Yea!
    Thank you so much Viceman!
    Just tried your solution to this problem & now I can play Quicktime
    on my Vista Home Premium! Wow! You are like the best!

Took me a couple runs - the problem was that I hadn't actually installed number 1 the 1st time around and then when I tried to run the command line with reset.cmd...it would not work saying it wasn't an operational command batch etc... so I downloaded your reset modify again but this time went into where it was and right clicked and opened it. (it then unzipped)
    then went back and clicked what was now unzipped and the black command
    box xmae up all by itself and run a bunch of stuff. and now it works!

Thanks again!

I am still unable to make it work. The only place I can find the folder you discribed is in this location. C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\

I tried to create a folder in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ but it does not show up after I load it. I also do not have a Run Prompt on my start menu? I am not liking Vista right now.

I even tried this. Unfortunatly, it said (in the dos window) that it did not recognize the command reset.cmd

Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast