Thread: file error while import contacts in outlook

file error while import contacts in outlook

Hi guys..

Using Outlook 2010 and after upgrading to Win 8 pro 32 bit am unable to import contacts and getting error.

A file error has occured in the comma separated Values ( Windows ) translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.

Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "D:\Contacts.csv". Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it, and that it is not open in another program.

This was not the case while using Win 7 ultimate before. Also, my ms office is activated completely and I have even provided full permission...

Re: file error while import contacts in outlook

Are you getting that error as soon as you start importing your contacts or you get it half the way???

Not half way...it's good until am selecting the file from my hdd. After I select the file and click on next am getting the error message

Can you try to create 2-3 contacts in Outlook and then try to export them to excel. After that compare the file that you have with the one Outlook created and message yours respectively. Also, you should know that Outlook wont import or export custom fields natively. It will need third party software or code that you will have to write.

Let me try that, but one question.. the contacts were exported from Hotmail in csv format to Excel and do you think the format will change?

Quote Originally Posted by bond19 View Post
    Let me try that, but one question.. the contacts were exported from Hotmail in csv format to Excel and do you think the format will change?
    You can try to create at least one Contact in Hotmail, then Export the Hotmail Contact list to your Desktop as a .csv file by going into Contacts > Options > Export Contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    You can try to create at least one Contact in Hotmail, then Export the Hotmail Contact list to your Desktop as a .csv file by going into Contacts > Options > Export Contacts.
    Thank you all for the reply, actually it worked.. There seems to be a kind of bug with the MSN and outlook.. the format changes when we export them from hotmail. So what I did was import all the contacts to my Gmail and them export them as a new CSV format and them import again to outlook..it works good now.

THANK U ALL