Thread: Black screen when playing any videos in Windows Media Player even after installing proper codecs in Windows 8

Black screen when playing any videos in Windows Media Player even after installing proper codecs in Windows 8

I have installed Windows 8 in my PC and then installed the codecs to get various formats of audio and video to be played in my computer. But after installing the codecs, every other video started going black. For example, I installed the Microsoft Office 365 and after installation it started a demonstration video which turned out to be complete black. Then I played some other videos too in VLC media Player, even they played in black. Can someone tell me why this is happening?

Re: Black screen when playing any videos in Windows Media Player even after installing proper codecs in Windows 8

As you are saying that you installed some codecs in your computer after installation of Windows 8, I suspect that the codecs that you installed might not be compatible with Windows 8. If you have tried to install the same codecs that you had installed in your old operating system, then again it might have caused problems as they must not be the updated codecs which might work along with Windows 8. I suggest you to go on the official website of Windows and download the appropriate codecs from there. They will be designed to work on Windows 8 properly.

Re: Black screen when playing any videos in Windows Media Player even after installing proper codecs in Windows 8

I don’t think that it is proper concluding that the codecs are responsible for the blackout of the video in your computer after installing Windows 8. I mean it can also be the graphic drivers or graphic card that must be causing this problem. I suggest you to remove or uninstall all the codecs that are present in your computer. Then run some videos of format which are of format like .avi or .wav which can be played by Windows Media Player without any codec. If you can see the picture, then it means there is problem with codec and you need to replace them.

I don’t think you should jump on updating each and every thing on Windows 8. I mean it is a new operating system and it will take time for the developers to realize the bugs and the problems that this operating system has. I think that you should wait for few days before proper codecs are released by the developers of Windows 8 as well as the video players.