Thread: Manual installation of Adobe Flash Player 11.4 version prompted to users instead of automatic updates

Manual installation of Adobe Flash Player 11.4 version prompted to users instead of automatic updates

I had updated the Adobe Flash Player in my computer to its version 11.4. After some days, when it was time to update the Adobe Flash Player, I found that there was no notification for the availability of new updates. The Adobe Flash Player automatically downloaded the new updates in my computer and then notified me about it. The problem is that I think if Adobe can get into my computer to put in some data so easily, anybody can do it. I think it should have asked before updating. What do other people think about it?

Re: Manual installation of Adobe Flash Player 11.4 version prompted to users instead of automatic updates

This is not the first time that Adobe has done such thing. I had seen Adobe Flash Player being updated silently in version 11.2 and 11.3 too. Also it is a known fact that Adobe can update their softwares in your computer silently when they want to. I think this is helpful as there are lots of updates that keep taking place now and then. If they keep notifying you, it will just irritate you as the pop ups will be seen every now and then. The only time you get notification is when there is a completely new version of Adobe Flash Player available for downloads.

Re: Manual installation of Adobe Flash Player 11.4 version prompted to users instead of automatic updates

You can insert SilentAutoUpdateServerDomainFallback in the MMS.CFG file. This will provide a switch to the Adobe Flash Player for providing a fallback switch to the silent updates. You will need to set this fallback switch for a specific number of days. This will enable the internal update server which will stop the updates for the software for some days. When the period of days that you have set will get over, the updates till that date will take place all at once. This process will also be silent, but at least Adobe won’t access your computer frequently.

You can disable the automatic silent updates by editing the configuration file for Adobe Flash Player. You will need to search for MMS.CFG file in your computer. You can use SilentAutoUpdateProxy so that the softwares which need to be updated silently will send the updates and the data on the proxy address. It will then sent in your computer after it is completely downloaded. This will silently update the software in your computer as well as not allow any inappropriate access in your computer. Another way to do it is to convert the SilentAutoUpdate to SometimesSilentAutoUpdate. This will keep the silent update active, but it will notify you when the update is taking place.

But if Adobe is silently entering our computers and updating their software, then I think that it is a complete violation of privacy. They themselves make us to agree to the EULA agreement which prohibits such activities. I think that this should be stopped as it might hurt people’s privacy. If the way to get in our computer is revealed to the world, then the hackers might plant viruses this same way.