Thread: Which is the best Photo Manager tool for Ubuntu

Which is the best Photo Manager tool for Ubuntu

I am looking for a good Photo Manager software for Ubuntu. When I search photo manager in Software Center, there is nothing listed. I have many photos on a portable media. I need a software that can provide me some easy editing support and quick view.

Re: Which is the best Photo Manager tool for Ubuntu

Go for Picasa. Search in Software Center and you will locate the download. It works quiet nicely and it is one of the best tool I had seen. Picasa offers you great photo managing ability.

It scans your entire drive for photo and list them all. You can upload them online also based on your need.

I found Picasa as very light Photo Manager software. It works on Windows and Linux also. It has a awesome menu. You can simply differentiate among photos and remove which you do no want. Along with this you also have direct print, share and upload options. There are some features which are not integrated in other photo manager software. Linux platform always lack a good software support. I am using Mint, and the default photo viewer that I have is very basic. I just can view files. There is no print options available. Picasa has a web version also. You just have to put your Gmail account and you can sync photos online also. The best part of using Picasa is that it offer you a folder listing the left side. In that you have to tick and check the images. They are listed in the form of Thumbnail and works nicely. The new Picasa 3 comes with some effects and settings. Just click on a image and on the left side you can see those effects. You can make image black and white, tune it and share with others.

I am too using Picasa and it is one of the best image manager I had seen. The software comes with a inbuilt slide show viewer. You just need to click on the play button, thats' all your images are on their own. A good tool for dual screen support.

If you are not looking for advance options then you can check digiKam. This is one of the famous Linux photo manager software. The software allows you to import photos directly from a external drive or camera. You can simply organize different photos in the form of albums and navigate through them from large libraries. It has a powerful sorting options through which you can arrange photos on the basis of size, date, folder, etc. This feature is much for every photo manager software. If you are thinking that this tool will not read the RAW format of a camera, then you are wrong. You just need to hook the device to your pc and digiKam can extract images properly for your.

One more option that I want to highlight about this software that it offers a option to compare different kinds of photos. You can compare them side by side and remove older ones. You can add different plugins to get image editing benefit on it. You can create slideshows or simply update them on any social networking platform of your choice. This tool is far more better compare to others.

I had worked on DigiKam. What I did not liked much is the interface which is a bit confusing. It is actually a professional tool which is made for managing higher number of images. For regular users this will be a bit complicated. This is really difficult to understand for a novice.

There is a simple tool which comes with minimum settings and configuration. It is called as F-Spot. If you are using Ubuntu then comes by default, but if you are on Linux Mint then you have to install this through Software Manager. The software is simple and comes with basic editing. You can arrange your photos in the form of albums and correct images with simple clicks. You can crop a image, remove red eye and adjust many other settings. F-Spot also comes with number of features through which you can share your photos on number of social networking websites.

There are simple extension that can help you to have advance features on it instantly. The tool is not at all complicated to handle. On the same hand DigiKam is far better for professional. It comes with many advance feature which will confuse you a lot. While Picasa has one of the best interface. It scans your drive for images and show them in thumbnail format. For managing photos F-Spot is best according to me.

In my system I got gThumb. This is very basic photo manager. What you can do is view your pictures here in folder format. It is just like a viewer. If you do not want to get more confused then you can stuck with application and in future if you need a advance software then you can check for digiKam type tool.

I am not sure about Picasa or DigiKam, but the software that I use is very fast. I am using Shotwell. If you have choices to use F-Spot or Shotwell then do go for the second one. F-Spot is quiet basic, while Shotwell is more enhanced. It offers you a bit more support to enhance your photo settings.

You can share the photos easily on Facebook also. I like the speed of this software. It works in more smoother way. When you edit photos they are saved within seconds. If you have large amount of photos with you then it becomes a bit complicated to edit all of them together and makes changes to it.

I'll 2nd the geeqie recommendation. It tags and writes EXIF data as well as all the usual viewer/manager features I need. The only feature it doesn't have yet is rating, but hopefully that's coming soon.