Thread: Where can I find a good tool to compare two data folders

Where can I find a good tool to compare two data folders

Looking for tool that can help me to compare to two folders at a same time. I have a 10GB space allocated on Windows Server. When I login to my account I receive a separate a partition inside My Computer. For backup purpose I keep one the D Drive also which is the separate partition. Now I forget when I took the last backup. Both folders are important for me and I cannot blindly delete any one of them.

If I manually check each and every file by right clicking on it, then it will take me years to get the actual data properly copied on both the sections. I need some help to find a proper tool that can automatically compare the folders between Server drive and my partition.

Re: Where can I find a good tool to compare two data folders

There is a very basic tool for that. It is called as WinMerge. This software can help you to compare and merge two folders. It check for the most latest file and provide you a visual report. In that you can easily figure which folder has outdated data. I will recommend you to check the software first with your existing data. I think this software also merge the folders together.

WinMerge is safe. You can use that. It is nice tool and free. What you need to do is right click on folder and then click on WinMerge. After installation this tool is added in the right click context menu. In the resulting window you can see all the information of file instantly. You can find the data when the file is created. You have to do the same with another folder which is on Windows Server. You can side by side compare files instantly and then move data as per your need. I have a powerful solution for you. You will never face this issue anytime. For that just read properly.

You might have heard about Windows Briefcase. This is a free and powerful utility. What you have to do is right click on Desktop and choose Briefcase. Then open it. Now go to your server drive and drag all the files inside briefcase. The next time when you make any changes, you just have to click on update at the top. Briefcase support two way synchronization. After configuring this do not open your server drive. Just work on Briefcase and click on update. Whatever changes you made on this folder will be updated on the server. You can set the sync on automatic mode also.

Briefcase is a good solution for folder sync. I had used this for long time in Windows XP. I am not sure if this is available in Windows 7 or not. I just drag files inside the Briefcase folder which lies in my USB. On launch it automatically sync the folder.

There are many software that you can use for this purpose. One among them is SwiftCompare. This software is a dedicated folder compare. It works on Windows and you can simply compare as many folder as you want. Also the software provides you a comparison with merge facility. You can merge all the modified content easily with single click.

The best part to recommend this software, is that it is not all tough to handle. It works smoothly and nice. You can simply compare the folders with one click. Other than this the software also provide you a sync facility. Under this once your folder is configured on Automatic Sync you do not need to worry about the modification done wherever. According to me SwiftShare is a powerful software for those who work on multiple platform. SwiftCompare work on many type of files. It can sync and merge data files, multimedia files, etc. SwiftShare is a good software you can go for.

What I know is SwiftShare is not at all free. You have to buy a single user license to use it. Instead of that give a try to WinMerge. It is better software and provides you similar feature. Try to search on Google you might find more free tools over there.

If you need a decent interface and simply tool then there is only one tool in my mind. It is called as UltraCompare. This software has two window divided into two parts with similar controls. You have to add one location at the one side and other on the other. When you run or check the comparison this software will give you easy listing of all folders and data.

This is not just a basic software, but there are some advance options to ensure that nothing is lost. I am using this software from couple of months and found it is very helpful. To some extent you can also try to compare three folders at a time. It does not matter what is the location of your folder you can add the path and sync data. The application works very fluently and does not provides you any error. It works with single play button. Just hit that and you can see all the folders listed side by side. I like the way it displays content. UltraCompare is a very easy to use software. Go on the official site of this tool and check some screen shot. With that you can probably figure out how this actually works.

I think there are many software. I will too recommend you to start with free tools. Because if you are going to use this only once then it is not all worth buying. And if you need such software frequently then go for the license copy. Try to find a simple and free software.

Have a look on Altova DiffDog. I face this type of issue very occasionally and because of which I tried this software. I liked this tool quiet well. The software is capable of comparison documents and audio files. It can easily detect number of files format. It offers you a merge feature by which you can overwrite the content of folder you want.

The comparison is done very easily. It also works on over ftp connection. Somehow it is a commercial software recommended for those who needs a comparison utility on regular basis. It also has a similar interface where in two windows you can compare to folders and merge them as per your requirement.