Thread: How to configure Jriver media center on home pc

How to configure Jriver media center on home pc

I was looking for a good media center pc for my home theater system. I have a desktop and a widescreen TV with surround sound speaker system. I landed on Jriver. I have some doubts on this. Can anyone provide me some highlight on the audio format this media center actually supports. I know the common one, but those like podcast or Dolby sound. How this media center handles corrupt file. Did it crashes or it still works. I had seen media center who simply crash on corrupt files. What about blu ray file. My existing player crashes when I open blu ray files. Another thing I want to ask is about Airport. I have this device and my existing player does not support it. That is the reason I cannot stream my songs on other devices. I have many doubts on this media center like remote connectivity, hdmi connectivity, etc.

Re: How to configure Jriver media center on home pc

What I know about this media center that it has some issue with Airport. Non apple devices face this issue commonly. You will needed to setup this properly on your computer. What I know that Airport Express is upnp device which once connected works properly. You must give a try to this media center.

The media center do not crash on corrupt files. It shows that the file is unreadable or corrupt. This is what the I like in Jriver. It does not free or crash. The file is marked as not proper and surely you can remove those files. I was having some 50 video files in a series. When I uploaded them on my media sever I found has option to get the list of bad files. For that you will need to export a smart list out of it. The key to access is F9. When you hit that you can simply click on export and then type "~d=b" to get the list of bad files. Also those files are visible in the playlist itself. You can simply delete them and update the library. It is recommended that you must not run them. Delete them or ignore them. To avoid any data loss I had created a separate playlist of bad files and kept them aside. You can try re-analyzing the files a number of time, and something those files works.

I am not sure, but I had heard that this media center support Blu ray disk. You need a good player for that. Remember that a blu ray video is high quality and it needs better player to render video quality.

Jriver support Blu-Ray. That is the reason this media center is counted under the list of latest media center. One thing you will need to do to run the blu ray video. You will have to just convert the blu ray video to computer blu ray format. There is a difference between this two format. A blu ray disc and a blu ray format for PC are not one and the same. You can test that by downloading a blu ray reader for your system. If the computer plays blu ray disc simply by inserting it then there is no need to do any changes. You can import all the blu ray videos and keep them in your system. You can then play them as per your choice. You can use Media Center 17 to rip the Blu ray disc and get a pc readable format. By ripping you will not loose the quality here. The video will be the same but it will be in readable format.To ensure that you have the best quality video, just learn about different blu ray formats for pc.

I have a list of audio format that this media center support. Basically it support almost everything. The foramt as ape, apl, mpc, mpc+, mp3, mpa, mpga, ogg, wav, wma, wax, m4a, m4p, m4b, aac, aif, aifc, aiff, au, snd, aa, cda, mid, midi, rim, rmid, ram, ra, shn, pcast, podcast, rss, dolby ac3, flac, wv, shn, etc. Only for Dolby thing you will need to downlaod a additional plugin for your system.

Till yet I had not found any major issue related to to HDMI stuff. The issue mostly appears because HDMI is not properly get detected. If you are going to hook TV to your media center then one thing that you will have to check is proper HDMI standard. Many times media center screen is not visible on tv via hdmi connection is due to hdmi handshake issue. HDMI handshake is a process by which the connection and connector properly sync with each other. If the receiver is low on standard then the screen will not be visible. Basically it does not depend on the media center about hdmi connection. It depends on your pc board or gpu.