Thread: "File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file" with CamStudio

"File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file" with CamStudio

I have downloaded and installed CamStudio, in my case I am using microphone for the sound recording and have not change any default settings by now. The problem is that when I am recording screen video and if it is longer than 15 minutes then I get an error message saying ”File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file” I have been looking after a solution for the same but I have not yet found an effective solution to fix this out. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling camstudio several times but it is not making any difference. Is there anything else that I can try out or is there anyone who is aware of this issue and has a fix for it??

OMFG Re: "File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file" with CamStudio

I am facing the same issue with CamStudio when doing a screen recording. As suggested I am using CamStudio Lossless Codec but then I don’t know what goes wrong with the same when the recording time is over 10 minutes. It will start fine but after 60 percent it will throw a message saying "File Creation Error. Unable to rename/Copy audio file”. I thought that there was some issue with the CamStudio Lossless Codec so I decided to use Lagarith Lossless Codec but unfortunately it did the same. I was welcomed with the same error message. I don’t think I am missing out anything. I have reached this thread after while looking after a fix on this issue. Anyways if you get an updates on this then please share it here it will be quite appreciative.

Re: "File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file" with CamStudio

Since you have mentioned that you are using default settings for recording, I will like to inform you that the default settings for recording is 200 fps where as CamStudio is having limit of 2gb. So if you will use the default settings then the 2GB limit on avi files will be covered soon. It won’t give you any error when it will pass 2GB limit until you stop the process. It will appear fine as if it is recoding but as soon as you stop the same then you will get an error saying ”File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file”. So better reduce the capture so it does not pass the 2 GB AVI limit soon. Hope that helps.

As far as I am aware Camstudio Lossless Codec or Xvid/DivX or FFDShow provides better quality as compared to Microsoft Video 1 codec. In order to avoid audio/video sync problem you should set “Capture Frames Every” to 25, “Playback Rate” to 40. If you want then you can try setting “Capture Frames Every” to 100 and “Playback Rate” to 10 as well for creating smaller files. In short I read about all these things in a article where at the end the conclusion was that Higher settings will create lower file size where as Lower settings will result in higher file size. In order to get rid of the error either set the “Capture Frames Every” and “Playback Rate” to what I have mentioned or according to the one you find better.

There are a number of bugs in CamStudio and File Size is one of them. Its not actually a bug in CamStudio but then it is a limitation that is being imposed according to the AVI specification. CamStudio is currently not able to create avi files over 2GB, may be we will have to wait till its next update to get the File Size matter solved. Even I have come across a article where it says setting “Capture Frames Every” to 25 and “Playback Rate” to 40 will create a smooth file with lower size. To know about more about the same in detail you can just google out “Best Settings for CamStudio to Sync Audio and Video” and check out the one from screencasttutorial. Best of luck.

I am quite aware of this issue but I just wanted to share that if anyone wants to overcome the 2GB AVI limitation then the can run the file through Virtualdub by setting audio and video to Direct Stream Copy. To know more about the same follow the below steps:
    Download and install VirtualDub, after installing the same open it up and click on File menu>"Open video file." So if you are having a CamStudio AVI file who’s size is greater than 2GB then go in to the CamStudio program and select the file in order to operate VirtualDub. Make sure that direct stream copy is selected in "Video" dropdown menu as well as Audio menu. The direct stream copy should be selected by default but if not then you to select them manually. When you are done with the same then click on "Save as AVI", after that you will be prompted for naming the file so enter the one you like or simply select the default one that you might get. Just check it out and let me know if you all found it to be interesting.