Thread: Can’t find lossless codec in video codecs list of Camstudio

Can’t find lossless codec in video codecs list of Camstudio

I have recently installed camstudio and have installed the lossless codec as well but I don’t know why they are not showing up in video codecs list of camstudio. I have made sure that I am having latest version of .net framework and "camcodec.inf" file is there in c:\windows\system32\drivers area post-install but when I check out in the Compressor section then the lossless codec seems to be missing. I don’t think I am missing out anything. Any suggestions?

Re: Can’t find lossless codec in video codecs list of Camstudio

There are possibilities your video options panel might have got broken and if it is really so then you will have to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). I will suggest you to just follow the below easy steps:
    • Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
    • Uninstall Camstudio
    • Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
    • Install Camstudio

Just try it and let me know if that’s helping you out. If you have any further issues with it then feel free to ask, I will surely try to help you with the same as well.

Hey thanks for the same, I have now followed your instruction of uninstallation and installation but unfortunately it has not made any difference in my case. I am still not able to see the lossless codec under Options > Video Options> Compressor section. Is there anything else that I can try out?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

I am not sure if this will work out for you or not but I have found one mentioning it to be as working in similar case. If you want then you can try it out as well:
    First reinstall the codec
    If it is not showing up then extract the codec archive and move "camcodec.dll" to "c:\Windows\SysWOW64". Just make sure that you are running the program as admin. After making this change restart Camstudio.
    If you still don’t get any help from it then you can try out changing the registry. You just have to create a text file by copying the below code in Notepad:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]
    "camcodec.dll"="CamStudio lossless codec [CSCD]"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
    "VIDC.CSCD"="camcodec.dll"

If at all the same does not work for you then you can get the latest Codec and drag the camcodec.inf after extracting the files. After opening the file just check out for this thing:

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.CSCD,Description,,%Description%
    HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.CSCD,Driver,,"camcodec.dll"
    HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.CSCD,FriendlyName,,%Description%

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\camcodec
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\camcodec,DisplayName,,"CamStudio Lossless Codec"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\camcodec,UninstallString,,"rundll.exe setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %12%\camcodec.inf"

When you find them then add below lines to it and save, after that Right click on the file and click on Install and Start CamStudio after that.

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc,"camcodec.dll",,"CamStudio lossless codec [CSCD]"
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32,VIDC.CSCD,,"camcodec.dll"

So now I have tried out the solutions that have been mentioned here but they are not appearing to be making any difference. I am still not able to see lossless codec under Options > Video Options> Compressor section. I have checked about the same on the web and have found some people mentioning that the same issue is not within CamStudio ver 2.0. I have tried switching back to CamStudio ver 2.0 as well and unfortunately I am still not able to see the Lossless Codec. I have downloaded latest codecs several times thinking that there might be something wrong with them but I am still running out of luck. Is there anything else that I can try out further rather than ones mentioned here? Any further help regarding this will be appreciated.