Thread: Getting unable to elevate. Error 6 with vlc

Getting unable to elevate. Error 6 with vlc

I have downloaded latest version of vlc and when I am trying to install the same then after entering the username and password for the installation I am getting an error message saying "unable to elevate. Error 6”. I don’t know what that means and I have not faced it previously is there anyone who has faced the same and or have an idea about it?? Any suggestion for fixing this issue??

Re: Getting unable to elevate. Error 6 with vlc

I have come across this error while installing older version of vlc after entering the username and password for the installation. Later I was able to fix the same by disabling UAC, just try out the same and see if it is helping you out as well or not.

For windows Vista:

Using Control Panel-
    • First open Control Panel and click on "Add or remove user account" "Add or remove user account" and then click on user accounts. Now under the same account click on "Go to the main User Account page" link and click on "Change security settings" link under "Make changes to your user account".
    • Now uncheck "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" in "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" and click on ok. After that you will be prompted for rebooting the system, so just select restart and you are done.

Using Regedit-
    • First open registry by Start> Run> type “regedit” without the quotes and hit enter after that check out for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    • When you get it then check out for DWORD: EnableLUA and change it value to 0. Make sure that you are rebooting the system after making these changes. You can change it later to 1 for enabling uac.

For windows 7:

Using Account Control Settings-
    • First go to User Account Control Settings and type UAC and click on "Change User Account Control Settings" link and move the slider to the Never notify and then click on ok and you are done.

Using Regedit-
    • First open registry by Start> Run> type “regedit” without the quotes and hit enter after that check out for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    • When you get it then change the EnableLUA key (REG_DWORD type) value to 0. When you are done then close the Registry Editor and reboot your system.

After disabling the uac try installing vlc, I don’t think you should get the same error again. Just give it a try and let me know if its actually helping.

Re: Getting unable to elevate. Error 6 with vlc

I don't think that you need to all that, even i have faced the same error while installing VLC 2.0 on my system. in order to solve out the same we just have to run the VLC setup icon as administrator. just right click on VLC setup icon and select “Run as administrator”. and after that you wont have any issues in installing VLC 2.0.The same solutions has worked out for most of the people who were facing this issue, so probably it should help you as well.