Thread: After upgrading to VLC 2.0 video stutters

After upgrading to VLC 2.0 video stutters

I have upgraded to VLC 2.0, I have been using vlc from a long time and did not had any issue with the same. Since updating to VLC 2.0 when I am playing any movies then the video starts stuttering. I don’t know what’s wrong with VLC 2.0, I had never faced audio stuttering or video stuttering in vlc 1. Is this a common issue or there might be something wrong in my case? Has anyone else faced the same issue or has an idea about it??

Re: After upgrading to VLC 2.0 video stutters

Have you tried out uninstalling and making a fresh installation of VLC 2.0? If not then try it out and see if it is making any difference. If it does not then try changing the output module to Direct3D or OpenGL. If you still do not get any luck then try increasing the file-caching value and see if the video is getting better. I have found some people who were having similar issue with the older version of vlc and they were able to sort it out by increasing the file caching to 600ms. If these solution are not making any difference in your case then post a short sample of your vlc log. So that I can go through the same and have a better idea of the issue you are facing.

I have already tried out uninstalling and reinstalling VLC 2.0 several times but doing that is just not making any difference. After you suggestion I have tried changing the output module to Direct3D or OpenGL and have tried increasing the file-caching value as well but the video stuttering is still there. Is there anything else that I can try out, below is the log that I have found.
    main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 12 ms)
    main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 9 ms)
    main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 45 ms)
    main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 33 ms)
    main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 12 ms)
    main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 9 ms)
    main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 11 ms)

I don’t know why these things are not making any difference in your case. Assuming you might have restarted vlc after changing the suggested settings, if you are still not getting any help form it then you can further try out enabling GPU and see if that is appearing to be helping. Other than this is also wanted to know if you are having this issue with specific extension of videos or with all of them. What is your system configuration??

Yes I had restarted vlc after making the changes but it did not helped. I have now tried enabling GPU as well and I am still not having any luck with the same. I am not sure if this issue is with some specific extensions of video but it is with most of the movies that I am having and have played them in older version of vlc. As I have already mentioned the same movies were playing fine in vlc 1, I am quite sure there is something wrong with the newer version of vlc 2. If have checked about the same on the web and have found others facing similar issue but there has not been an effective solution to fix this. I am thinking of switching to the older version for now but I will like to know if anyone finds out a fix for video stuttering in vlc 2. Thanks in advance.

I have been facing same issue with VLC 2.0 and have reached this thread while looking after a solution for it. Anyways I have already tried out the solutions that have been mentioned here and they have not made any difference in my case as well. Other than this I was suggested to change the Codecs as well. Since it has not been mentioned here you can try out changing the same by going in to Tools > Preferences > Input & Codecs / Codecs > you should set "Skip H.264 in-loop Deblocking Filter" to "All". You can also try out installing the latest driver for your graphic card. I have tried doing the same and have not got any luck with them but you can try them out, some people have mentioned that changing the Codecs had helped them out. So just try it out and see if you are getting lucky with it.
    My system specs:
    • Intel Core i7 3930
    • 16 Gb ram
    • nVidia GeForce 580 3GB
    • Windows 7

If anyone comes across any other solution than the ones that has been mentioned here then just share it here. It will be appreciative.