Thread: File Shredder

File Shredder

I was looking a good File Shredder, I tried File Shredder & even when kept on highest setting to shred free disk space i can still see & recover the data perfectly(35 passes with a strong algorithm).

It is an unsupproted GNU lic program so cant ask them.

Please Help...!

Re: File Shredder

Lavasoft File Shredder 7.6.5.0

You may shred your sensitive documents in a paper shredder, but if you fail to shred the digital version, you are still vulnerable to identity theft and fraud. Information you erase by using your computer's "delete" key is intact and easily recoverable. Prevent theft of your private information by permanently removing unwanted files. Lavasoft File Shredder ensures your privacy by using military and government approved security standards to overwrite any files or folders that you designate to delete. At home or at the office, shred your digital files with the same ease and certainty as you shred papers in a paper shredder. Convenient file and folder selection means that Lavasoft File Shredder is a natural addition to the security tools you use on a daily basis.

Key Features
    - Permanently remove any sensitive digital information from your computer such as Word documents, Excel files, PowerPoint files, music files, videos, photos and more.
    - Select a file to be shredded with a simple right-click or browse for a file or folder.
    - Detect and remove "previous versions" automatically saved and hidden by Windows Vista.
    - Shred everything in your recycle bin with one easy click of a button.
    - Conveniently shred files by dragging and dropping them into your desktop "shredding bin".
    - Shred all your temporary files left behind on your computer.
    - Clean up your computing history. Use the "Shred all free space guide" to clean your computer from all old deleted files and folders that are still stored on your drives.
    - Document the files that have been permanently removed with a qualitative reporting option.
    - Supports the Department of Defence (DoD) shredding algorithm, using seven rounds of overwriting, as well as all other advanced standards.

Download

I'm using Lavasoft File Shredder 7.6.5.0 on Microsoft Windows XP with SP2. Shred Free Space has been working very good when I shred only 1 drive at a time. Whenever I select more 2 FAT32 partitions (drives) with any algorithms, it crashes in the middle of the process. I'm not sure if the reason is the partitions I selected were FAT32 or if it is because of more than 1 drives selected. The error window screen capture is as follows :

This error is corrected in the 7.7.0.0 version.

Theodosia Angyalka Guest

When you delete a file, which is effectively what file shredder does, all that happens is that the section of hard disk that held the file becomes receptive to new data. The old file remains there until new data is written over it, so short of completely filling the hard disk with new data the only answer is to destroy the hard disk and replace it with a new one

Transend Guest

The in-built Delete option of MS Window does not permanently deletes the vital information from the computer systems. The deleted files got stored in archive directories of local computers. If the computer system is connected with Internet, an external intruder or data recovery software can recover all the sensitive information from these Archive folders. The Kernel File Shredder consists of advanced data erasing algorithms that completely deletes the target files and their backups from the computer’s hard disk.