Thread: Best Linux File Browser Alternative

Best Linux File Browser Alternative

The default file browser provided with the Linux operating system is good but I want some file browser that can provide me some more features. There are a lot of options for Windows but i found very limited with the Linux edition. So I am starting with this thread to have some recommendation from you people. If you have used any good file browser for linux other than the default one then please reply along with some information about that. Thank you!!!

Re: Best Linux File Browser Alternative

The best that I can recommend you is the PCMan File Manager which is well known as PCManFM. This is designed to replace the default file manager that comes with the linux. It is totally free and you can easily download that. I am using the same and have the best experience. I am posting here the features that it provides so that you get the idea of quality of the software.
    • This supports the File association.
    • There are four views available as compact view, thumbnail view, detailed list view, icon view.
    • Simple and user-friendly interface.
    • You will save the bookmarks and from the left panel you can have access to that.
    • Other languages support is also available.
    • There is complete support for the flawless access to remote filesystems
    • For the images files you will get the thumbnails
    • Sorting can be done in no time.
    • With the drag and drop support you will be able to drag and drop any of the files in other location.
    • Large directory can also be loaded in short time.

Krusader is also a good choice to make. This is advanced twin panel file manager which is in commander style. This is the amongst the best file manager for the Linux operating system with all the features of the file manager that needed for handling files with the best. This is having support for huge range of archive formats that can be operate other KIO slaves similar to the smb or fish. If you want then you can also customize that according to your need. You will not face any problem while accessing any of the functionality of this because of its user-friendly interface. Here are the highlights of this application:

1. An internal viewer and editor
    2. Powerful batch renaming
    3. Directory synchronization
    4. File content comparisons
    5. File transfers with FTP
    6. Extensive archive handling
    7. Mounted file system support
    8. Advanced search module

There are a many of such file managers and you can use any of them. But if you want to have best performance and features then my suggestion to you is to make use of the Marlin File Browser. This file manager is based on the GTK3. There is multiple view modes and you can select the one which is comfortable for you. You will get the tabbed view for browsing files from your computer. As default, it is set to single click open but if you want to have double click then you can also set that from the settings.

This is also having the support for the Unity Quick lists. You can also make some changes to the interface as well as toolbar of the Marlin File Browser. In order to install this in your computer then you can make use of the below command:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marlin-devs/marlin-daily
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get install marlin

Why don’t you use Dolphin file manager? I will give full point to it in terms of the usability. The beta version of the KDE 3 is already available; if you want then you can use that also. Though it is in beta phase, you will get almost complete features of this to use. Dolphin is getting ported for the KDE 4.0. You will be able to navigate from the URLs from the navigation bar that is having file hierarchy. If you want to perform some operation with more than one file then you can also select multiple files and changes will be applied to all the files. If you want to get the details of the folder then you can simply click on properties and you will be provided with detailed information of that particular file or folder. You can also have the split view for the directories. If you have made some change by mistake and you want to undo that then you can also do that with its Undo/redo functionality.

There is SpaceFM file manager that is very much similar to PCManFM but much improved that this. SpaceFM libraries are based on the development platform GUI GTK2 and that is the reason that it is very light. You can also execute commands on it. This is having ability to divert the output of certain commands and operations to stdout, as well as we can establish our management application desktop GNOME or XFCE and so we can also place our own wallpaper. Interface for this file manager allows a very high level of customization (panels, plugins, multiple tabs, etc ...) so that we can configure the application directly to our needs.

There are three types of side bars as and they are directory tree, a set of shortcuts (which is what we usually see in our File Managers) and all connected devices (like hard drives, both internal and removable). This is integrated with Bash. You can open a terminal as well as common user or as root (the Thunar only allows it as normal user). Besides that you can open the folder as root as well. It is consist of integrated file search, customizable menus and entries, icons customization, fast changing permissions for files. You will be able to install plugins such as join PDFs, video converter, GPG tools, etc.

Beesoft Commander is a file manager for the Linux platform and is developed in a C + + environment. The program has recently been upgraded to version 2.23. This is available in various versions including architecture specific builds and packages. Beesoft Commander 2.23 has a new option to delete files permanently from the system this is also known as the 'wipen' of files. I am using the same and very happy with it.