Thread: Is it Worth to install Smartware or not

Is it Worth to install Smartware or not

Hi, I have a desktop at my place with Core2Duo processor and 2GB RAM. I had only 320GB hard disk so was planning to buy one hard disk from past few months as I feel 320GB is very less to store my all videos and movies. I had huge discussions with my friend and even searched the internet and finally bought a Passport Essential SE 1TB. Now I am unable to understand that whether I should install the Smartware or not. I have gone through most of the articles which suggest that the Smartware uses lots of memory by creating the temporary files. But I have even read that it is useful for backing up the system. I am at the movement very confused so can anyone guide me through this.It’s very important for me.

Re: Is it Worth to install Smartware or not

I would suggest you that don’t install the Smartware; it eats up lots and lots of memory as it stores etilqs files in the temp folder. You will have to manually delete the files from the Temp folder as the disk Management software doesn’t detect the temp files. So it better you don’t install the Smartware as it can be of no worth. You can use the drive with or without the software. So there’s no compulsion as such of using the Software. I hope you make a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ!on View Post
    I had huge discussions with my friend and even searched the internet and finally bought a Passport Essential SE 1TB. Now I am unable to understand that whether I should install the Smartware or not. I have gone through most of the articles which suggest that the Smartware uses lots of memory by creating the temporary files. But I have even read that it is useful for backing up the system. I am at the movement very confused so can anyone guide me through this.It’s very important for me.

It is completely your decision whether you have to install the Smartware or not. Most of the times people prefer the Smartware as it provides with the backup options. But you can even backup your drive using Windows 7 Backup and Restore function. Sometimes the Smartware makes your system very slow and this may irritate you. As it makes the copy of files on which it is making the changes. You can easily use the drive without the software but there will be only one potential problem you won’t be able to use the Passport with Windows and Mac at the same time. Either you will be able to use it on windows or with the Mac. As Mac formats the drive in HFS format while, Windows format the drive in NTFS format. HFS format is not readable by the Windows operating system and NTFS is not readable by Mac OS. So you will be restricted to only one system. So as I said earlier, Choice is all yours.

You can use your passport essential without the Smartware but there are some problems that you may face regarding the StorageDevicePolicies. Sometimes the device is write protected so you have to change the setting from the registry. Open the Registry to do this you have to write “regedit” in the search bar and then press enter. Now open the folders in the sequence as mentioned below:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ CurrentControlSet\Control \StorageDevicePolicies.
    The StorageDevicePoicies folder states how the Storage devices should behave. Right Click on “Write Protect” from the left hand side and select modify and set the value as “0”. This will enable the copy, cut and paste options as “0” is the default value which shows that the permission is enabled. Hope this helps you try this only if you are not able to write on your disk.