Thread: Sync Live Mesh with Windows XP

Sync Live Mesh with Windows XP

Currently I have a Windows XP computer configured over my Home network and it works as a main server which I have shared the drive so that other devices can access the drive and files in it wherever from my home. I also use a laptop which connected over the same network via wifi connection.

I can easily access the folder shared on Windows XP computer. Also the laptop has Live Mesh installed but the problem is Live Mesh cannot sync with the drives and/or folders on Windows XP computer. It looks like it is no use to have live mess installed on this laptop. Is there any good solution to fix this sync problem?

Re: Sync Live Mesh with Windows XP

Whenever you install Windows Live Essentials 2011, you will also be offered with the Live Mesh. The fact is you cannot run the Sync Windows Live Mesh. There is no data sharing between the two services. The Windows XP is not compatible with Live mesh and there is no way you can sync a XP machine with the Windows 7 machine. Windows Live Sync and Live Mesh beta is already closed by the Microsoft. In order to sync with Windows XP, you should find an alternative solution.

You are on the network and you cannot sync files between the removable media or a mapped drive. Furthermore it is not possible for you to sync some of the things with the Live Mesh:
    • Files with copyrighted material. ( it will be a violation of the Windows Live terms of use)
    • File names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    • thumbs.db
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Desktop directory folder (C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop)
    • Files and folders on removable media
    • Files and folders on mapped network drives
    • Live mesh also does not allow you to share some files with unique extensions.

You already get to know that Windows Live Mesh won't run on the XP machine. In that case, you have to install Windows 7 on the desktop computer and install Windows Live Mesh. Make sure that you are not installing the Beta version of live mesh. Once installed set up what folders you want to sync. Once the setup is completed and folders being added to the list, you can easily synchronize those. Do not share the root folder of the machine. Always make sure that you can install the Live Mesh on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, and Mac OS X version 10.5 or later computers but it will not be possible to install on Windows XP, Server 2003, or Home Server version 1.

Everyone knows that the Windows Live Mesh 2011 get updated very recently and it is compatible only with latest Windows OS. This is developed to provide a solution to the user where people have more than one computer and they need to keep the information between the two PCs coordinated. It is really a terrible thing that, live mesh no longer supported in Windows XP. As an alternative you can try use of previous sync program was called Live Sync. It is also very useful and provides somewhat similar functionality. By the use of Live Sync, you can sync virtually unlimited amount of data among different computers. But the problem is, this service is not as easy as DropBox. If you have few files to sync, in that case you better use DropBox.

I don’t know for what reason, the Microsoft has removed its live mesh support from Windows XP. I really like the Windows XP. The best thing is, it is fully patched/ updated. There are currently 3 service packs available for Windows XP along with lots of security patches which are being updated till now. But still Microsoft worries about the brining live Mesh to the Windows XP, due to its low level security features. WE have used Windows live sync in XP and I think that live mesh is a direct alternative to Windows Live Sync,