Thread: Best tools to manage 'long path files' in Windows

Best tools to manage 'long path files' in Windows

I want to have some solution for long path file name. Whenever I try to do any operation with such files then it gives me the error saying that the file is copy protected. By long path file name, I mean to say that there are some of the files which are having path that contains long characters. The length of the path is too long so it can’t be supported by the Windows. I am searching for some software that can help me to manage these files. If you have some recommendation for any good software then please suggest me that. Thank you.

Re: Best tools to manage 'long path files' in Windows

There is one program named as “long path tool” which can help you with the cases like this. Many of the times it happens that when you try to delete some of the files then it shows you message as "Cannot delete the file because it is being used by another user or program" or shows you the message that the file cannot be processed because the name of the file is too long. In the first case, if you simply restart the computer then problem will be resolved but in the second case where file name is found to be long, is not easy to resolve.

But it is good that we have the program “long path tool” that can handle such problems. For the LONG PATH Tool, size of the file does not matter. If the file being used by some other application which is protecting file from being deleted then this tool will break the link of the file from that program and you will be able to delete that file without any problem. You will also be able to uninstall any of the installed program m from your computer that is not being uninstalled due to some missing file or some unknown reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Nguni View Post
    I want to have some solution for long path file name. Whenever I try to do any operation with such files then it gives me the error saying that the file is copy protected. By long path file name, I mean to say that there are some of the files which are having path that contains long characters. The length of the path is too long so it can’t be supported by the Windows. I am searching for some software that can help me to manage these files. If you have some recommendation for any good software then please suggest me that. Thank you.
    I know that it becomes very annoying when you try to delete some file and that gives you some file protection error. You can download and use the Unlocker software for managing such files. Unlocker is an application that installs as a Windows shell extension which allows the elimination of any file and folder indicated by the OS as impossible to remove. The error message that you will get while deleting such files includes files in use by another user, "blocked" by Windows, “Access is denied "and so on.

This software is available in 32 bit and 64 bit. So you can download the one which suits your system. It is very simple to use the tool. Just install that software normally as you install other software by following the simple online instruction. Once you are done with the installation then right click on the file which cannot be deleted. You will get one of the options as “unlocker”. Just select that option and it will open the interface listing the name of the file. There will be a drop down menu from where you will have to select delete and click “unlock” button. When you do that then that file will be removed from your computer. This is not moved to the recycle bin. I am sure that it will be helpful for you.

There are many of the random errors generated when you try to delete the file which is having tong name and this is very common problem with the windows operating system. There are many of the software created to deal with the issues like this but the best one that I ca n recommend you is the “Path too long tool”. This is having very simple user interface. You will just have to browse the file which can’t be deleted and then hit the button copy or delete. For windows, it is important that they should not exceed their name by 260 characters. This is the only thing that you will have to do and the tool will do the rest of the things automatically. These files normally made from the viruses and some other infected software’s and these files cannot be handles by the windows operating system.

I am using the bitchip file gear which is also good software to use. This software is lies a bit low as the other competitor software because it is not possible to map otherwise delete the long path files. I am using this software because that is very much helpful for gearing copying that type of files. This is combination of many of the utilities in one so you will get many things in just one package. It is having File Splitter and Joiner and Checksum Calculator.

This is providing the Checksum Calculator with the help of which, you can calculate checksum as well as hash values of files. If you are having a large file and want to split that file into many small sections then you will be easily able to do that with the help of the File Splitter and Joiner. This works with any size of file and of any type. Other than this, with the same utility you can also join these split parts into one file. Just search for “bitchip file gear” on google and you will easily get the download link for that.

Why don’t you use the Robocopy. Robocopy is a powerful utility which has the advantage of being integrated into the operating system from Windows Vista but is available through the Resource Kits Microsoft systems. This is a copy utility from the command line, with the following significant features:

• It is able to copy the files with the name more than 256 characters
    • This is having the progress indicator from command prompt
    • It is multithreaded for Windows 7 operating system
    • For batch programming, it returns the code
    • It is having the capability of differential copy that means, you will be able to 'move' files which are previously copied on target and there is no change in the metadata.
    • If files are on source location then it provides mirror mode for copying and deleting files
    • You can also set the number of retries for operating any of the files

Some of the times, it helps to end and restart the explorer.exe. In order to do that, just press alt + ctrl + del and that will open the task manager. From the task manager go to the process tab. It will show you all the processes running on your computer. See for the process “explorer.exe” and click on that to highlight that process. Now from bottom of the task manager, click on end process. As you click on that then you will find that the explorer will be closed and you will be left with blank screen. Now click on file and select new task. Here you have to enter “explorer.exe” and press ok. This will start the explorer again. Now try to delete that file again to see if that is getting deleted this time or not.