Thread: I cannot use Cocoa applications in OS X Lion 10.7.4

I cannot use Cocoa applications in OS X Lion 10.7.4

My system just got a new update and it is to OS X Lion 10.7.4. Actually I didn’t want to update to Lion but after hearing some suggestions from my friends. I have finally decide to go for it. You might have heard about the Cocoa framework that powers Mac OS X. If you are a Xcode developer you might already know much about this.

I had created few my own small Cocoa Apps based on Quicktime. It was working fine in previous version but in LION they will no longer work. Furthermore Applescript not showing any folders and windows to save or choose them. What should I do now?

Re: I cannot use Cocoa applications in OS X Lion 10.7.4

I think that you are not the only one here but perhaps others might be experiencing the same problem. I barely assume that the apps created on Snow leopard might not be compatible with the OS X Lion due to different version of cocoa framework installed or used. I am not sure about it. It is just my assumption since I am not a hardcore professional developer. I have seen that after the OS X Lion latest update, the QuickTime 7 has lost a couple of menus: Loop and Play back etc.

As far as I know that the Cocoa is an object-oriented development environment and it is mainly for the Mac OS X environment. Now any Hard-core Unix programmers can develop apps and programs for Mac operating systems easily since it is the fast growing UNIX variant on the market today. You will need lot of practical information than is currently available from Apple in order to run your Cocoa apps on different variant of Mac OS like either in Snow leopard or OS X Lion. It seems to me like there is a cross-platform compatibility issue or what we called in Windows like interoperability issue. You still have a lot to learn about this.

I looked into the OS X lion features and the problem is some of the features are meant to address the performance and all. While the release of Snow leopard, the performance related issues were addressed significantly more efficient than Leopard Snow Leopard added practically zero new features but it completely concentrated on the optimization whereas the OS X Lion brought the features. I didn’t find any issue after upgrading to Lion. But few bugs are still being corrected by apple one by one. I think it is a fourth update and I assume that still more update on the way to the Mac. I expect that it will include new features along with fixes for lately reported issues.

Also the combination of Cocoa, Xcode and IB is much better than anything else. Even a small app can become high-quality shippable app. This is due to the Cocoa’s ability to do most everything on the UI