Thread: Roxio Toast 11 error "Spanning is disabled because the destination disc is too small"

Roxio Toast 11 error "Spanning is disabled because the destination disc is too small"

I have iMac Lion system at my place that is running 2.7 Ghz i5. Most of the time I always I have certain works with regards to burning DVD and media conversation process and for that reason I purchased Roxio Toast 11 believing that it would be very well and it actually worked as according to the expectation. I was easily able to burn certain data DVDs without facing any sort of issue. the software ran smoothly for few days and helped me a lot with all my operation but then later on after few days yesterday when I was trying burn few more DVDs I found that I wasn’t able to do so. There is some sort of problem with the software itself. Seems to be an error is actually not allowing me to proceed with the further activities.

The thing that whenever I follow the procedure for burning a Data DVD and when I drag any file to the Toast for the burning process that is to be added into the new DVD I end up getting an error message saying that Spanning is disabled because the destination disc is too small and the Disc might have minimum 40MB". I seriously do not have any idea why this error message is occurring and what this error message means but the only thing I understand is that this message is not at all allowing me to carry on with the burning procedure. As far as I know there is no problem with the Disc that I have inserted; it’s a DVD! Then why I am getting such small space notification or error message. Every time I try to burn a DVD and all the time I get the same error message. All the errors used to appear with an OK button and when I click on that button the message use to appear again and again with no big difference. After getting this error I did certain R&D and found certain solution. Few of them include deleting Toast then I repaired permission and then re-install Toast, after that again I repaired permission. But this didn’t help me at all, also other than this I updated Toast from the current version to 11.0.5 but I learnt that update was never an issue. Other than this thing I also removed all the preferences. Is there one who is expert with repairing this software of anyone who have this software and managed to sort out the problem? please help me out and let me know how I can get out of this trouble. I need to get out of it as soon as possible.

Re: Roxio Toast 11 error "Spanning is disabled because the destination disc is too small"

That’s weird to even hear from you that you are facing the exact same problem. There are my other friends who are facing the same problem with Roxio Toast 11.0.5 and the only thing I suggested them was to get rid of that version. It is the only suggestion that is currently being recommended to all the 11.0.5 version users. Other than this problematic version, I think you shouldn’t face any kind of such error message issue with other version software. it would be much better if you let me know the previous version that you used in your system, if its 11.0.4 then go for some other version leaving 11.0.5 and 11.0.4 and if its not 11.0.4 then I would suggest you to try out this version. Go to Roxio’s software updates section and update your software with 11.0.4 version. its not just this simple error message that is irritate the users; my friends also got irritated with the kind of behavior sometimes Toast shows. In their cases sometimes what happen is Toast don’t even show them the exact memory space that is available during the operation. I doubt that all this may be occurring due to some preference files; maybe the preference files are completely corrupted. Deleting those files should also help you if this issue is exactly the same what I have explained here in my post. as far as I know those Toast preferences files are as follows: plist and prefs files.

Re: Roxio Toast 11 error "Spanning is disabled because the destination disc is too small"

Yeah trashing the above listed files are the better option if in case the Toast preferences files are corrupted. Other than this issue with Toast 11.0.5 version I have found lots of users facing different trouble and the most common one I have noted is during the burning process the data disc interrupting at 99%. And I have also found that with 11.0.4 the case is not the same, in fact with 11.0.4 such issues are rarely found. Anways for trashing those two files from the preferences files list what you need to do is go to User and then go to Library then Preferences folder. Once you are into Preferences folder simply search for the above listed files and remove them from the list. I am not sure with your procedure but with the Lion users in Mac the User Library according to me is accessed in a different manner, what I prefer is holding down the option key during the Go Menu selection in the Finder. Anyways I personally believe that if 11.0.4 comes up in the update page surely the new Toast Preferences is going to improve a lot and also sort out the entire problem.

11.0.4 Version is fine but not completely. If you compare it with 11.0.5 version then yeah 11.0.4 is far much better than this one but as I said its not completely impressive. When I got this version and when I tried burning a DVD everything was fine, the burning process was done successfully. But then when I tried the same thing with the second DVD I faced the same problem with this version too while burning the DVD. For writing on the DVD when I chose the Media option it shows me only limited space available on Disc although I haven’t added or dragged any of the files into it. And lastly as I continue the process and proceed with burning I get the same error message that has been already stated above. I personally believe that deleting or removing those two above mentioned preferences files i.e. plist and pref files are not of any use in anyway.