Thread: Using SysTune to Optimize Android Performance

Using SysTune to Optimize Android Performance

I am just using android device and wish I could optimize it to an maximum limit. So I just searched everywhere whether I am able to do so, but found nothing. Later when I visited some sites, and went to google play, it just came to my notice that there is a tool which will satisfy my requirements. The one listed in the title. i.e SysTune. So I made some further glance over it but as I am new to this mode and didn’t performed any major experiments, I was not really knowing how we can make use of the tool and to improve further performance of my android device, can you state some steps which will useful for a beginner and some pros and cons of using this feature. Please provide the same. Thanks.

Re: Using SysTune to Optimize Android Performance

So as you said you are beginner at this time, I need to say that you better take advice of someone who is concerned in this case, I will provide some info, but this tool is for advanced users with root access. But to explain in simple, it is a system tuning and tweaking tool which can be used in variety of cases. And this tool will allow you to make some system settings so that you are able to optimize your system. It is further equipped with some more advantages as it provides changing priority of processes which in turn will help you to choose the one which is appropriate at the time of accessing as well as this feature allows lagging issues. So you may be having some background process taking place which will in turn affect foreground processing and interpret with it causing it to delay in running as well as processing. So this tool will process both the processes work together fluently in a proper manner.

I am knowing some of its features which are really cool. First of all I liked the feature which allows us to change priorities of active processes which is also known as renice. I used this one and with it I was able to choose one which I required the most at that time when a background process was running slow. My background process was really working slow and it affected my foreground process as well but my priority was with foreground and giving it a priority really helped it to work fast than it was previous. You can also modify min/max CPU frequency along with some changing of cpu governor. It also had some block device settings something like IO-Scheduler which helped to blocked devices which were untrusted. It helped me in Voltage Control as it has been said that they SVS and HAVS supported for this tool additionally. MUlti-Core / -CPU support along with Kernel (Scheduler) Tweaks and helps to move in Safe Mode . It also allows you to save and load settings independently for each tab. Moreover , it also provides some extra settings as Realtime CPU Clock Speed and "Time in State"-View of each Core/CPU.

I need to post some of my queries so required your help. Though this seems to be beneficial I have issues with it. so I'm currently using the version which came free with BlackICE. And I am concerned to profiles like you find on setcpu, e.g. when the screen is off it will tend to scale the cpu down to minimum frequency. So I am not knowing whether this feature is in the paid version or not? According to me, I suppose this is necessary, what do you think. It also came to my view that all features of the paid version are just simply viewable in free, but are not functional.

Yes, I was also concerned to the same situation as the previous post posted his views. I currently have no event triggered profiles. Though at present i am working on something quite unique. Limiting the max freq on screen off is a completely ineffective thing. in some rare circumstances this in fact can even add to battery consumption. But this is really a special condition. It also came from some sources that restricting the max freq apart from overclocking has entirely no practical advantage. And even if one would like to do it would be a bad thought to do it event triggered by the app. such events tend to slow between screen on/off which inturn cause small lags. So what the use of this. there are some additional events triggering profiles such as temperature, or low battery and so forth. Could be a useful additions in upcoming version. But it has low precedence on my to do list.

Guys , I need to discuss regarding tuning of the memory management parameters. And so stating some of them. You can consider this parameter.
    /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
    So according to this variable , it will control the affinity of the kernel to regain the memory which is used for caching of VFS caches, against pagecache along with swap. mounting this value will add to the rate at which VFS caches are reclaimed.It is tricky to identify when this should be altered, other than by testing. The slabtop command illustrates top memory objects which are used by the kernel. The vfs caches are the "dentry" as well as the "*_inode_cache" objects. If these tend to consume a huge amount of memory with respect to pagecache, it might be significant trying to boost pressure. also assists to lessen swapping. After making some experimentation, I advise to decrease this value down to 10 particularly for phone having huge amount of RAM.
    /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
    This will tend to control the quantity of memory that is kept free for use by particular reserves as well as “atomic” allotments. You should make a note of one thing that this should not usually be lowered unless the system is being very suspicious tuned for memory usage. If “page allocation failure” messages as well as stack traces are often observed in logs, min_free_kbytes could be augmented until the errors fades away. There is no requirement for concern, if these messages are very rare. The default assessment depends the RAM you are using.
    /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio

This parameter when exceeded, applications that would like to write to the pagecache are blocked and they do some kind of writeback. The default value is 40 (%). And it can be augmented up to 90% for phone which is having huge RAM with the aim of avoiding writeback. But there can be a possibility that this could even cause lags. These two values together resolve the pagecache writeback performance. If these values are amplified, there would be no additional dirty memory kept in the system for a longer period. With more dirty memory allowed in the system, the possibility to recover throughput by evading writeback I/O and to submitting additional finest I/O patterns boosts. though, additional dirty memory can either damage latency when memory requires to be reclaimed or at data integrity points when it requires to be written back to disk.