Thread: How to block number of attachment while sending email on MS Exchange 2010 SP1?

How to block number of attachment while sending email on MS Exchange 2010 SP1?

I wanted to reduce total number of attachment which can be send by email. Right now we are able to sent 20+ attachment with an email. How can I make maximum 5 attachment with a single email? Is it possible to do the same with MS Exchange 2010 SP1? Let me know if you are having any useful instruction to meet my requirement. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Re: How to block number of attachment while sending email on MS Exchange 2010 SP1?

As far as I know you will be able to reduce total size of attachment with an email but I am not having any idea if you can limit total number of attachment as well. if you are having any specific reason why you are looking to reduce number of attachment then let me know about the same as early as possible.

Re: How to block number of attachment while sending email on MS Exchange 2010 SP1?

You will be able to get your requirement by making use of routing agent. Make sure that you are not using Office 365 as it does not support for Agents. There should be some code which would check 5 attachments which has been sent by your internal user. You should simply remove existing recipients and add new one and you have to change the subject line so that it would display the email was get rejected. You have to write all these thing for transport agent because transport rule is having capacity to block total size of the attachment.

I think you will need to play with maximum registry of the system.
    You should simply open registry editor on your system and go for below mentioned registry key.
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\MaxObjsPerMapiSession\objtAttachment
    objtAttachment registry value can be configured with any possible value. If you have manually added and configured any value then it would indicate maximum number of attachments on single email message for MAPI client. in case MAPI client trying to exceed total number of attachment when sending message then an error message can occur.

I let you know that you will not be able to do this particular thing for every single user but you can implement the same on server. for your information maximum number of attachment is 1024.

If you are looking to blocking attachment completely then it would help you to protect from virus. I know that it’s not a real time solution. It seems really surprising that Microsoft Exchange is not having support for email attachment blocking. If you really wanted to block inbound email attachments on Exchange server then you should use some third part program. However you should take care of the thing that antivirus program which you have installed on Exchange server should have idea about the same. such program are having different functionality than that of antivirus program. It scans files as well as Exchange information store.