Thread: How to fix slow data transfer while backing up Hyper-V VM?

How to fix slow data transfer while backing up Hyper-V VM?

I purchased IBM Bladecenter H chassis and it was having 3 blade servers. From 3 servers 1 one is dedicated to DPM2010 server and it is powered by Windows 2008 R2 SP1. Remaining both servers are failover cluster and they are alos powered by the same OS. Also they are using CSV for VMs. They are connected with FC connection to IBM Storwize V7000.
    Right now they are 6 virtual machines are running on cluster. I am not having IBM VSS provider, rather i using serialize backup by making use of datasourcegroups.xml . there is no major issue apart from transfer speed. The transfer rate is seems to be really slow when sync occurring with Replica. I am getting transfer rate of 500MB in a minute. I have configured DPM so it can be utilized as dedicated backup network. it is connected with 10GB Qlogic adapters with blade center, Can you tell me how can I troubleshoot this particular problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to fix slow data transfer while backing up Hyper-V VM?

After going through the problem of yours I wanted tell you that disk which you are using having redirected access mode. hence you are not able to get FC data transfer rate. As you are using Redirection mode., all read/write IO are getting transferred over the network rather than that of storage path. So it is likely that you are going to get slow transfer rate. The workaround for this particular problem is storage VSS provider. If you have managed to get local VSS then disc would use direct access mode once it will complete snapshot operation. Probably it would take 3 to 5 minutes to accomplish.

In case you are having Storage VSS provider backup then there operating would get completed irrespective of snapshot and backup applications being used.
    Another information I wanted share over here is Cluster shared volume is new feature introduced into windows 2008 R2. It helps you to access all cluster nodes simultaneously. Only drawback is that only hyper-V will bale to access CSV. Hence when you are doing copying normal file then backup application will not be able to access CSV. Windows which you have installed on your system would give disk redirect access mode so that it can initiate windows 2003 cluster.

Hey thanks a lot for the prompt replies of yours. I got that idea that disk are in redirected mode and at that time data transfer is happening. But I let you know that I am using dedicated 10GB network when I am going to access my blade chassis. Hence there should be better performance at least more than 500Mb per minute. I am not concerned with data transfers rate which has been displayed on network graph. You will be able to see that NIC is not having any data. It showing small spikes indicating transfer of 500Mb data is happening. After 1 minutes it is getting stopped and same thing is continues for ever. Hence if I wanted to transfer 40GB of data on dedicated 10GB blade network. then it would take 80 minutes to complete entire transfer.

In this particular situation you should check out whether above mentioned thing happening couple of times. I mean if you are going to do random backup on one VM then you are getting same result. If it is does not happening then you should place VM on different system and see what results do you supposed to get. If there is bandwidth throttling then backup would get completed in longer time and there will be reduction into Disk I/O operation. You should see that QOS at both side. In order to figure out network throttle you should test situation by using 10Mb of data transfer and see what results do you getting. if none of settings are working then you should modify network throttling. If you have implemented new settings than you should simply refresh agent and see it helps you out or not.

Well I got the same problem with DPM 2007. I noticed that backup process supposed to running on read IO priority . in fact it should be running on background. It was interfering with production IO. I found that setting up network bandwidth throttle on hosts in DPM could be helpful. However it would effect on restores. I had set 30Mbps so there wont be any issue with disk backup. Well I am wondering that setting would take effect on all backups once you have finished with server. so wait till settings are getting implemented. However using 30Mbps would give you sufficient changes into backup times

You will be able to restore VMs as you have backup from Hyper-V host machine. You will not be able to restore file stored on VHD. It simple that you should have backup file on VMs if you wanted to restore or backup file VMs. As you do on your computer.

You can give try to online backup solution. But I don’t recommend that same as it might have stability issue. If you are really wanted to use online backup solution then see that it should be compatible with Hyper-V.