Thread: How to use DPM system recovery tool in DPM 2010?

How to use DPM system recovery tool in DPM 2010?

Well I was trying to install DPM System Recovery on my system. it would help to get BMR level protection on Windows 2003 servers. However I was not able to do the same. already tried to search on internet but I was not able to get anything relevant to my requirement. Let me know if you are having any idea to fulfill my needs. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

re: How to use DPM system recovery tool in DPM 2010?

You should take care of the thing that SRT is Sysinternals tool. It is neither changed nor revamped. Also there is not much information available as people are supposed to upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 . following are primary gui for SRT.
    • Recovery Schedule Console it’s a console which can be used to configure Windows 2003 BMR recovery points.
    • Recovery Center here you will be able to done with recovery of clients of yours.
    • The entire process s is consist of below mentioned steps.
    • First of all you should have Windows 2003 Recovery point and simply create a boot DVD.
    • You have to boot client by using Boot DVD which you have created previously.
    • Once you have done you should simply go for Recovery Console so that it can approve recovery point.

re: How to use DPM system recovery tool in DPM 2010?

Looking at situation you will need to perform below mentioned steps.

1. You have to launch DPM System Recovery Tool Console. after that try to connect with Active Directory domain by using valid credentials.
    2. After that you have to create schedule that all you to make use of SRT in order perform recovery set.. We know that both SRT as well as DPM recovery are having recovery set but there are huge difference between it.
    3. Once you have done you have to add computer into schedule and create recovery set. See that target computer is running with Windows Server 2003. DPM SRT would get install automatically on the targeted computer. ensure that File and Printer Sharing has been enabled. You should not do anything until and unless all the process has been completed.
    4. Now you have to create Client Boot Disk by making use of DPM SRT Console.
    5. To perform recovery you have to perform below mentioned steps.
    6. See that original machine should be offline. You should insert and boot disks by using new VM.
    7. After that simply configure IP and you should launch Recovery Center and choose computer which you wanted to recover. Over there you have to select Rollback system options.
    8. Once you selected options you should complete wizard and wait till entire process has been completed.

Re: How to use DPM system recovery tool in DPM 2010?

As far as I know DPM 2010 is not having support BMR available on Windows 2003. DPM 2007 is having support for SRT. However SRT is having different type of recovery method which can be used on ISO image. Os far there is no standard way to setup SRT in order to create boot client.
    People who are using DPM 2010 should simply use Bare Metal Recovery on Windows server 2003 as well as Windows Server 2008. You can also use BMR on Windows Server 2008 while using DPM 2010 after installing Windows Backup feature.
    You will not be able to use DPM 2010 for Windows Server 2003. People who are looking to do BMR then you have to download SRT on Microsoft Technet DPM 2007. The total size of SRT is 341 MB.