Thread: Space bar and return key no longer stop & start music in iTunes 10.6.1

Space bar and return key no longer stop & start music in iTunes 10.6.1

Recently updated my iTunes to version 10.6.1 as until now I am really very much bored with the older version. The new version is very much fine and satisfying but looks like there’s a bug within this latest version. Whenever I try to use space bar key in order to start and stop the currently playing music. I tried it number of times but there is no response from that side. Not only the space bar key but also the return key seems to be not working well, its not allowing me to start a song. Overall both the keys are currently not working at all for me and all this things started happening only after I bought this latest version of iTunes. I am sure the issue has something to do with iTunes 10.6.1. Please help me out, I really wanted to make the space bar and the return key work anyhow. I must say that I really like using space bar to stop and start the music as I find it very much convenient. Hope anyone of you knows how to get this problem fixed.

Re: Space bar and return key no longer stop & start music in iTunes 10.6.1

As far as I know I think the keys which you have mentioned above are is nowhere used for controlling your playback as long as the search field that is placed in the upper right corner is somehow looking out for an input. In order to utilize those keys I guess the search field that I have mentioned has to say “Search music” which is in grey and should not be outlined in blue. And by pressing the escape most of the time clears the typing but remember it doesn’t restores it to iTunes start up mode. As most of you continuously use the space bar just to pause the playback music why don’t you simply try to turn off searching without even restarting iTunes. Let me tell that currently I am using OS 10.6.8 and the iTunes version which I am having is 10.5.3 on iMac, however it would be really interesting to know whether this has been really addressed in the other later releases. Anyways if you really need to turn off searching then you can probably do the following thing.

First just click on anything else beside the search field and now if you try to click on any of the column header and if you start typing it will surely jump to the place where you are typing.

I too had this issue after I installed iTunes from the first day onwards I was unable to run it properly especially the playback music. i really find space bar key as the best and the convenient way to pause or stop the music. Definitely I find space to stop the music played by iTunes mostly when iTunes is minimized but not when it’s normally opened. Until now the most frequent solution that uses to come in my mind after reading out the above post is to press the Tab key and then press the Space key which is when the window is full and therefore terminates playing. But I don’t think that its actually a solution instead it seems like a work around for this issue. Maybe the Tab is used to set the focus to some another field. We can simply type a space in the Search field so that the space bar is not suppose to start and pause a song when we are actually in the search field.

Hey I have something to say regarding this issue. not sure about your view but I personally feel that the issue has really something to do with iTunes that is defaulted to the search field when its not minimized which helps in preventing the space bar from automatically being able to function to stop and pause a music from playing. Maybe I am not correct but I think the issue is exactly what I said which is till now as you all can see not yet resolved. The reason for me not being sure about the issue is that I seriously don’t have any idea whether iTunes always had defaulted to the Search field or not, I have at least not yet noticed it until and unless I started seeking for a solution for this problem. I mean I came to know about it right now. again I would like to mention that even if the issue is clear but it seems to no logical for me especially about the minimized window in iTunes that has to disabled the Space bar from functioning as a shortcut properly. Is that the iTunes has always opened to a full window or it should somehow open to the full window with the cursor in the search field. and if that is not a default which prevents the spacebar by the condition by functioning in order to stop the song without even having any preliminary solution or steps like hitting the tab button, then its surely iTunes updates that has come up either faulty or with a bug. All in all I need to ask is that how the issue can be resolved and no debates please.

For your kind information I guess the minimized window in iTunes is not actually disabling anything, if you not aware let me tell you that Space bar key is however used to either get a space or it is used to as a keyboard shortcut but everything depends upon the placement of the cursor. When the cursor is in the Search field then surely it cant be a keyboard shortcut. It works in the same way in the Finder too; you just have to open a finder window and then put up the cursor in the search field at the top right or the window and then do press the space bar and it add up the space. Now you need to select any file being inside the finder window and then press the Space bar which will show you up the file in the QuickLook.