Thread: i cannot get the page breaks in apple iwork Pages while exporting to ePub

i cannot get the page breaks in apple iwork Pages while exporting to ePub

I came to know regarding the ePUB as it helps the text display to behave in an optimized format for the particular display device and it is also came into view that it supports fixed-layout content. So I just thought of making use of it. And there is a lot of presentation work so just tried with an catalog to work with in pages and I thought using it on PDF as well as Epub formats. But while doing so , I was not able to get page break when I exported to epub, and was viewing the content on ipad. Actually , I had a habit to work in Microsoft word , where I could do my work easily , but to work smartly, I just made a try in this thing. So I made a way in the "ePub best practices" document and made various experiments such as working with the layout, made some modifications in the style as well as color, and it seemed easy in my case. But after exporting , I came into view that many of page break s were not present as I had edited something. So can I find something which will enable me to find what was the reason for my page breaks to disappear. Or state any means with which we can make a good work in pages. So please assist me to solve this issue. Thanks.

Re: i cannot get the page breaks in Pages while exporting to ePub

I have a simple answer which will work. So all you need to do is to move in the Insert column and just select Page Break then moving to Inspector section in Document Inspector move in the TOC and Select or Unmark.
    you need to mark the "Title of the Page", make sure that it is in a "free form" under Paragraph Style which will be present on the left side of the toolbar . regarding the page breaks, you can have any number of page breaks in an ePub document called as 'Chapters'. if you employ the 'Chapter Name' style to highlight the start of a new chapter you will be able to insert a page break which you were looking for in the exported ePub document. Layout with text size can be configured in the reader program the end-user makes use of. But there are no options in the iBooks currently .

However , I was also making similar attempts by creating each section as a new chapter but creating this would take more time, also in the epub version, I was not able to see any chapter numbers but then after searching on net for the cause I had not applied the "Keep with following paragraph" Pagination along with break alternative . so I could consider as it appears to be easy to employ the application but in reality it is too unstable but it is a common case while working around in pages. I would better suggest if you find interest with working around with pages , make use of "tag & flag" method of formatting graphics and chapter breaks. In addition , you can try with exporting your "tagged and Flagged" file from Pages as an RTF or else an DOC file if you require to produce a stable output . so there are also questions regarding the compatibility of ebooks , so you can use Legend Maker to generate the ePUB . Again if you are concerned with page breaks, you also need to look for header, Footer, and auto generated TOCs, also the font faces, multiple line spacing and so forth. They should all be removed and it also depends on your fonts you are using and it is advised to that you keep your text to 18-point Times New Roman as a "baseline" on you apply this setting on your book title, as well as chapter numbers. Also use a different "baseline" if you favor, but at the time of creating files, it is better advocated that you make a particular gropu of sixes with will be easier to work with in Pages and by this you need not require to re-scale the project window . and it has been seen that there are a lot of positive as well as negative aspects regarding the pages and as a sbstsitute you can also make use of legend marker. It depends on the features you are using as some can work graet in legend marker which suits best and many can work flawlessly in pages.

Guys , you can try with inserting - Section Break. Another option would be placing the initial line on the new page after the page break into "Title" style. You can get this in the style menu choosing different styles according to your convenience. Also confirm that the style is checked under TOC in the Inspector. There is a huge impact on formatting of the text as items checked to be used in your TOC are the ones which denotes the page/section breaks. I also tried with the Inserting Page/Section Break menu options but there was hardly any effect seen. So while starting any section or any chapter in epub, make sure that it must start with a TOC marked style. And if you have done that way there is a possibility that you will start to find your formatting changing semi-randomly. And after setting the correct style for your document , you are able to manually modify the format of the text. And if you are willing to include a TOC in the book, you need to manually create one and within your book you need to manually link it to "bookmarks". And as you said that there was an effect with the header too , I need to say that you just use a TOC marked style for the header so that it starts on its own page. You will find the bookmarking options in the Link Inspector in the inspector pane . if you are interested in adding chapter titles as entries in your TOC , you need to add it as a bookmark after you have find the titles in your text and then select it,hitting the "+" . I was concerned with the manual TOC visibility in my book, and clickable to my chapters as well as chapters by moving back to the text in your TOC and choosing an entry and making an hyperlink to it on one of my bookmarks. And repeated this step.

As you are concerned to the page break in an epub document , I have underwent some tries which you can follow. you can do this using HTML or CSS. So , ePub has an editor like Sigil and If you have opened up an ePub file , you know that every separate XHTML/HTML file will come into view as a separate page in an e-reader. you might like to keep several materials in a single HTML file, but have it broken up into split pages when viewed on an e-reader.in addition, you have a lot of material that you would like to keep in one HTML file so that the editing would be easier . so I will provide you to force an page break using HTML or CSS. So you need to insert the following HTML code where you wish for page breaking to appear:
    <div style=”page-break-before:always;”></div>
    Make a note of one thing that the page break will not permit formatting from the initial page to carry on to the second page. To carry on the formatting from the initial page, you will have by yourself insert the formatting at the top of the subsequent page. You just apply the same CSS styling class from the paragraph previous to the break to the paragraph after the break . Styling the paragraphs with the style previous to and after the break causes that style to passed along subsequent to the page break.If you want to make certain that a page break at all times comes into view before certain kinds of headings or else paragraphs CSS is one fine means to implement.you can implement the use of CSS to do that. If you would like to place a page break previous to chapter/section headings, you need to apply this line to the CSS style for the relevant chapter-head style(s):
    page-break-before:always;
    and it will ahev an effect for what you wished. If you need to apply page break after any specific element,
    page-break-after:always;
    so regarding the CSS elemts , it is been comprised in CCS documents that CSS actually allows you styling the elements that repeat themselves in your document.

I am also concerning to the same issue , the answers were helpful by the way. So , I have a document which I am making into an EPUB for iPad. I made several chapters and of course a heating and sub heading would add more glance on the topic but one question which I have in my mind is I want each chapter title as well as subheading to appear on its own separate page, and I was not able to do so , in addition, it should be all viewable in the Table of Contents. So I found a solution which was quite useful.
    iF you need to page breaks without actually editing the XHTML and CSS, you can use a method of exporting which differs, and it depends on the version of InDesign you are making use of :
    • If you are working with InDesign CS4, you must employ the Book feature so that you are able to break your document into chapters. Then every chapter will start on a new page in the EPUB file.
    • you can apply the Book method which works well in InDesign CS5. But you also have an additional alternative. If you generate a Table of Contents style, along with choose the paragraph style you wish as first-level entry, you are able to then choose that TOC style and make use of the first-level entry as a chapter break.
    It has also been seen that InDesign CS5.5 brings chief developments to EPUB export. Rather than choosing the first-level entry of the TOC style as a chapter break, you are able to now select any paragraph style as a page break which will be present in the Contents panel of the EPUB Export Options dialog. It also came into my view that you are able to combine two different method to create two types of page breaks. So you will require to need to break up your InDesign document into separate files by chapter, as well as generate a book file to combine the chapters collectively. In the primary chapter, you first of all need to create a TOC style which was earlier mentioned in some post that to in the Layout panel under Table of Contents Styles. If you wish for the Chapter Header along with Section Header styles to be incorporated in the EPUB’s navigational Table of contents , you require to choose Chapter Header style as a level one style, and as a level two style in the case of Section Header style . in the book file, confirm Chapter 1 is the style source for the book as it encloses the TOC style for the EPUB file. from the book file you will require to export the EPUB file from the book file. You will find this in the panel menu, select Export to EPUP.On the Contents tab of the EPUB Export Options dialog, confirm Use InDesign TOC Style along with choose the TOC style in chapter 1 followed by check Break Document at Paragraph Style furthermore choose the Section Header style. Each Chapter Header along with Section Header currently has been broken in to a new XHTML file in the EPUB file. You are also able to see the navigational TOC present on the left side of Adobe Digital Editions and this will show all the chapter along with section titles.