Thread: Getting Exclamation Mark instead of photo from iphoto

Getting Exclamation Mark instead of photo from iphoto

I have recently created a book and I am also having the same printed but then the problem is that when I am going back to the book then the image is not appearing and instead I am getting a large exclamation mark, I do not know what is trying to say, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it?? Any help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Re: Getting Exclamation Mark instead of photo from iphoto

I have recently created a book and I am also having the same printed but then the problem is that when I am going back to the book then the image is not appearing and instead I am getting a large exclamation mark, I do not know what is trying to say, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it?? Any help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.
    In that case will like to inform you that the large exclamation mark appears when iPhoto loses connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window for representing the file, if you want then you can try out the below solution and they should help.
    • If you are having an up-to-date back up then you can try out copying the library6.iphoto file to the iPhoto Library from the back up to by doing Right Click and then choosing the Show Package Contents, this method will help you out in overwriting any damaged file if it is there.
    • If you want then you can download and install iPhoto Library Manager from the fatcatsoftware site and then use its rebuild function, which will help you out in creating a new library which will be based on data that will be in the albumdata.xml file, you won’t be getting everything here I mean there wont be slideshows, calendars and books but then it will bring your albums and the keywords for them.

It is a non-destructive as it leaves your old one untouched and just creates a new library but then if you don’t like the respond that you are getting from it then you can return to the old one very well. If both of the solution are not working out for you then you can try creating and populating new library, here I will like to inform you that you will get the new library with the same Events and pictures but then you will be losing albums, keywords, modified versions, books etc, in order to create and populate a new *iPhoto 08* library just follow the below solution:
    • Go in to iPhoto Preferences > Events and then uncheck the 'Imported Items from the Finder' box and then just Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop
    • When you are done with the same then Launch iPhoto and just click on yes when it will ask that “ do you wish to create a new Library” and so
    • Now go in to iPhoto Library and then in to the Originals folder and then drag the Event Folders to the iPhoto Window so that they get recreated in the new library.
    • When you are done until here and you are sure that nothing is wrong then you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

Just try it out and then let me know which of the solution from the above solutions is helping you out.

I am having the same issue and it appears as far as I can guess the issue has started after downloading regular updates to iPhoto11, I I hardy missed any updates as they are said to be very useful, I have tried out the first two solutions from the above post but then they are not appearing to be much of help, I mean that the iPhoto did not rebuild the missing link photos, anyways I have tried following the last solution which is the third one but then in my case I am not having the 'Imported items from the Finder' option in the iPhoto Preferences > Events, I don’t think that I am missing anything, I do not know what is the issue all about, is there anything else I have to do, can you just help me out with the last solution your post in a bit of detail??

Ok, here is the solution to start from scratch with new library, you just have to start with a new library and then import the Originals from the original library by following the below steps:
    • First just move the existing library folder to the desktop and then open the library package by right clicking on it and then selecting the “show package contents” option
    • After that launch iPhoto and then just select the option for creating a new library when you are promoted
    • Now Drag the Originals folders in to the open iPhoto window from the iPhoto Library on the desktop
    • When you are done with the same then a new library will be created having same Events as the original library but then as I have already mentioned you won’t be having metadata, albums, books slideshows etc. Hope that helps this time.