Thread: Logitech Alert Commander cannot be installed on Server OS

Logitech Alert Commander cannot be installed on Server OS

Everyone knows that a Logitech Alert commander can be easily installed on a desktop OS without any trouble no matter whether the OS is Windows Vista or XP or 7, it can be installed in all of them but how many of you all know that along the same side the same commander can never be installed on a Server OS. I mean to say that this commander is only limited to the desktop OS. They should have done something with the access of this commander to the server OS. The main advantage of the commander being run on the Server OS is that the servers are always designated and meant to run 24 hrs per day without fail where as in case of a desktop they sleep or get turned off if you leave it as it is just for few minutes, so therefore it doesn’t makes any sense in running this commander on a desktop instead it would be more beneficial and meaningful running it on a server. However I tried installing it on my WHS which is based on Server 2003, and trust me it was a real fun. I must say that it’s the best thing for running a commander and also storing videos on it, especially because the videos cannot be stored on a network share or mapped driver when the commander is installed on a desktop PC. But ultimately the enjoyment didn’t stay for longer time, I mean the server failed saying that the OS was not supporting. I tried my best in all the way but somehow failed doing so. Recently also tried installing it on a windows Server 2008 R2 with the same result. I am really very much annoyed with this limitation. Just wanted to ask is there any possibility of this limitation being eliminated in future with the updates or we will have just stay with the commander installing in limited Oss. Please have your comment in this thing.

Re: Logitech Alert Commander cannot be installed on Server OS

Yeah that’s true that Commander doesn’t support Windows Server installation but I do not take it as a drawback, because I personally feel that Logitech has provided their users with lot of other options that can be probably used at any moment of time. there are many different operating system that Logitech Alert Commander is designed to work with windows XP, Vista, 7 and also if you see the cameras are very much designed to run a stand alone as network device and also it does not require for the commander to run for the any kind of recording or remote monitoring once if they are set up. I tried many a times confirming from the tech support regarding the future plan of removing this limitation and let the commander software to be installed on the Server but they told me that they are currently not in any kind of such plan but definitely they will be thinking about increasing the possibility in future soon.

Re: Logitech Alert Commander cannot be installed on Server OS

I would really love to keep a commander software install on my personal server WHS 2011 so that I will not have to keep another windows machine running in order to save the clips from my cameras. I even consulted many people regarding this issue but everyone either came up with some negative feedback or with some of the other comments. One of my friends says that commander will never go out of it way in order to prevent us from installing itself on the windows server version like Window Server 2003 or later version. Most probably a server machine is bound get an insufficient video card and also server version have some of the graphics compatibility that are by default disabled other than these there are also other settings that are locked down by default.