Thread: Can only paste text in Excel 2010

Can only paste text in Excel 2010

This is a very recent thing I happened to notice. I was a satisfied user of Office 2007 till I switched to office 2010 and have started having certain transition disorder syndromes. That was expected as I was switching from versions and at times, you end up not understanding stuffs and complaining that the issue is with the version. While the issue actually lies with your lack o knowledge. Talking about transition from office 07 to 10 I have resolved most of the issues I had except for this one. This is happening since quite a some time and I have been trying to resolve it by myself. The issue is probably not very big and all but it embarrasses me to ask such a basic question on a forum. But I have no other go right now.
    Talking about the issue, the issue is nothing but that whenever I try to copy paste a cell which has some sort of formulas included in it and all. It does copy paste the content and the text in there but it doesn’t copy paste the formula. Is there anything that can be done? Because I am very much confused and I cannot afford to waste time typing or even copy pasting formulas from cell to cell. I could do this very comfortably in Excel 2007

Re: Can only paste text in Excel 2010

I have never noticed this since I am yet to switch to office 2010 and I don’t feel like doing so because I am quite happy with office 2007, it provides me all the features I’ve been looking for and Microsoft has a very bad habit of removing features if majority of users don’t like it. They should actually keep features with an option of using it or not using it.
    Anyways coming t your issue, I would definitely recommend on which I hope to work please check somewhere on the tool bar, you’ll find a toolbar on the menu ribbon. Click on the Paste/Paste Special too. You can also reach there by just right clicking somewhere on the sheet. This should give you an option of copying the formula also.

Exactly, I don’t understand why do they fiddle with existing features and forget the fact that it is these features which make them different from the stupid crowd. This grievance has to reach Microsoft. Their research team need to be given better training on giving proper data and recommendation. Not just another recommendation depending upon their so called survey on a selected group of people.
    I did try what you said and to add my hatred to the firm, the only option that they are showing is ‘Keep Text Only’ this is so not, what we want.

This is weird. I must say. I just spoke to another friend of mine who have asked me to recommend you some changes before which he wants me to ask something else.
    Q1. Is the problem surrounding to a particular excel file or is it about all excel files? Please keep a check of this. Open multiple files and check. Also check with new documents
    Q 2. When you save the file, what is the extension that it gives. Extension is what .doc is for word and .xls or its series for excel.
    Q 3. When you are trying to paste is, do you do it in the editable mode or you do it just generally? If you tried both, is there a difference?
    Q 4. Have you tried doing the same with excel after opening it in the safe mode? Please try and let me know what result it yields.

I will answer it in a very similar manner so that other users can easily make out in case they have a similar issue. So let me answer each of your questions:
    Answer 1: the problem is with all excel files and sheets. I tried opening multiple, new and single files but it did not give any varying output.
    Answer 2: the extension is .xlsx, I remember, my previous version of OS giving me .xls as the extension. How does this matter anyways.
    Answer 3: I tries both. I have been trying both, infact but it did not give me any varied result either, it’s all one and the same
    Answer 4: I don’t know to open excel in safe mode. If you could be kind enough to explain me how to go about it, I can definitely give it a try.

It is very simple to open excel in safe mode. Firstly, you will have to close the opened excel file. Now, go to stat, move to all programs, then go to accessories, click on Run and where you get the text box type in excel/safe and then press OK.
    This is how you can open excel in safe mode to go ahead with the rest. Follow the above steps without alteration, you shouldn’t have a problem then.

anjali189 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Logikar View Post
    This is a very recent thing I happened to notice. I was a satisfied user of Office 2007 till I switched to office 2010 and have started having certain transition disorder syndromes. That was expected as I was switching from versions and at times, you end up not understanding stuffs and complaining that the issue is with the version. While the issue actually lies with your lack o knowledge. Talking about transition from office 07 to 10 I have resolved most of the issues I had except for this one. This is happening since quite a some time and I have been trying to resolve it by myself. The issue is probably not very big and all but it embarrasses me to ask such a basic question on a forum. But I have no other go right now.
    Talking about the issue, the issue is nothing but that whenever I try to copy paste a cell which has some sort of formulas included in it and all. It does copy paste the content and the text in there but it doesn’t copy paste the formula. Is there anything that can be done? Because I am very much confused and I cannot afford to waste time typing or even copy pasting formulas from cell to cell. I could do this very comfortably in Excel 2007

Same here with me...... even when i tried cut & Paste, then it was copy & paste...... Means data didn't delete in the cell.... just copied into other cell. Anyone know what's the reason behind it ?