Thread: How to Rotate a Video Clip ?

How to Rotate a Video Clip ?

I took a small movie clip with my digital camera. My digital camera produces video files in .mov format. This file format does not appear to be recognized by Windows Movie Maker.

Is it possible for me to rotate the clip to 90 degrees?

Re: How to Rotate a Video Clip ?

Microsoft's Movie Maker will rotate movie clips 90' but you must have XP installed. You can rotate video clips in Windows Movie Maker by doing the following:

1. Import the video clip into Movie Maker.
    2. Drag the imported video clip and drop it onto the timeline.
    3. On the Tools menu, click Video Effects.
    4. To rotate the video clip to the right, drag the Rotate 90' video effect and drop it onto the movie on the timeline.
    5. On the File menu, click Save Movie File and follow the instructions in the Save Movie Wizard.

For detailed instructions, see Windows Movie Maker Help.

Note that you may need to adjust the pixel aspect ratio of your rotated video so that it looks normal during playback.

You can also do that by using QuickTime Player, choose Get Movie Properties from the Movie menu, choose Video Track from the left pop-up menu, and choose Size from the right pop-up menu.

Click the Adjust button. Drag the red marks in the corners to resize the movie, and drag the red marks on the sides to skew the movie. Drag the red circle in the middle to rotate the movie.

You can rotate and flip a movie using additional buttons in the Size window. To restore the original appearance, click Normal. To present multiple movies in the same frame, add multiple video tracks and resize or skew each to the position you want. To put one movie in front of another, adjust the layer setting for a video track in the movie Properties window.

You would need VirtualDub - a lightweight but exceptionally useful video program.

Open the video clip inside VirtualDub and press Ctrl+F to load the filters menu. Now add a filter that says “rotate2″ - this allows you rotate video clips by any arbitrary angle.

VirtualDub supports most video formats and can also be used to straighten videos captured via mobile phone cameras.

AviSynth is a powerful tool for video post-production. It provides ways of editing and processing videos. AviSynth works as a frameserver, providing instant editing without the need for temporary files.

smile Re: How to Rotate a Video Clip ?

Hi Halina,

I Noticed that everyone responeded to your question but overlooked the part about .mov format. I also have a camera (Canon) that saves the video in .mov (apple) format and had a video of a racket launch that I purposely did horizantally. Windows Movie Maker will not open .mov files; in fact, it does not even show up in the list of formats when you go to import. Windows Live Movie Maker does support .mov format, but I do not know if it can rotate.
    My Google search led me to this app that did it very easily. Free-Video-Flip-and-Rotate. and this one will open .mov format. iTunes Pro will do it too, but most people (like me) only have the free version. I hope this helped.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 09-04-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: External URLs not allowed.