Thread: How can I convert LaTeX file to OpenOffice .odt file and MS Word .doc file?

How can I convert LaTeX file to OpenOffice .odt file and MS Word .doc file?

how can I convert LaTeX file to OpenOffice .odt as well as MS Word .doc? any useful suggestion to meet the requirement of mine will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How can I convert LaTeX file to OpenOffice .odt file and MS Word .doc file?

The converting process of LaTeX file to OpenOffice .odt and MS Word .doc as follow.
    • First of all you have to install tex4ht from Ubuntu repositories. Also you will need to install necessary updates.
    • For your information its not a simple steps at all you will require to follow all the instructions. It would take bit time to complete with installation process. Also you will need to complete lots of other steps which are necessary on the basis of LaTeX file.
    • Once you have done you will require to execute below mentioned command as a user rather than root on terminal.

Code:
    latex filename.tex
    bibtex filename.aux

mk4ht oolatex filename.tex
    • once you have done you will see lots of file in directory along with original .tex file. Also you will have .odt file which will give you a brief idea about LaTeX file.

Currently I am using ubuntu 9.10. I found above mentioned solution bit complicated rather then I recommend below mentioned solution to resolve the issue of yours.
    Same as above here also you will need to install tex4ht after that execute below mentioned command.
    Code:
    latex test.tex
    latex test.tex
    latex test.tex
    htlatex test.tex
    you will get test.html as output. Now you have to right click on the same and open the same with openoffice. You will see that most of formatting being persevered with some minor alignment problem.

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 and completed the conversion by running below mentioned command.
    Code:
     latex foo.tex
     mk4ht foo.tex
    it worked flawlessly and I tried to split equation by making use of
    \begin{multline}
    \end{multline}
    Though equation is not splited however dvi version is showing correct spliting.
    Can you help me out please?

Looking at the problem finally I got a work around.

Code:
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{split}
    \end{split}
    \end{equation}
    The only problem which I have noticed that you will need to edit equation in LibreOffice so that you will delete numbering that is (# "(2)"}). If you don’t do that you will get double numbering for the same kind of the equation.